PDA

View Full Version : harescramble

cumby199
09-21-2011, 05:20 PM
hey guys im wanting to race a harescramble in a few weeks and was just wondering what you guys recomened for these races. i have never done one but i trail ride almost every weekend. my 400 is all stock.
thanks logan

01boneless
09-21-2011, 05:56 PM
id recomend a slip on and a filter some good tires (razors holeshots kenda claws ect) and a set of bars then ride it some and see if you realy like it befor you buy a arms and shocks and work on the motor imho

jkosakowski
09-21-2011, 05:59 PM
I race Harescrambles with my 400 all you realy need is good tires, Skid plates, tether switch, A slip on and air filter will be nice. Eventualy get some shocks and ccp steering stabalizer if you keep racing it will save you!!!! Wat series you gona race in ??:)

cumby199
09-21-2011, 06:19 PM
i have a kill switch already. i have raced a few races already. i have maxxis all traks for tires. and i have a uni air filter. but other then that i have nothing

cumby199
09-21-2011, 06:19 PM
but im just racing local races in the western il area

Longdong
09-21-2011, 07:05 PM
The fist thing to spend money on is SAFETY GEAR!!!!! Buy a good helmet. Neck brace and chest protecter and boots. I would start with the cheap things. Grips, IMO the best grips are spider grips. Next I would buy a trx90 thumb throttle lever. That make a big differences in a long race. Uni filter, steering stabilizer (ccp), and a good skid. Then before motor do your suspension!!!! You don't have to do it all at once. A slip-on is a waste of money!!!! Are you going to do the ironman in October?

cumby199
09-21-2011, 09:26 PM
i have good gear already and im needing new grips but mine are still kinda good. my 400 has hand gaurds and i have skid plates on. but when i have them on i dont have much ground clearence. would that be a problem? i already have a uni filter but would a 90 throttle make that big off a difference? i have never raced a harescramble so i dont want to jump into something big. i think my first race will be taylorville illinois on october 16th. i just wanted a idea of what its like and some tips on this whole thing.

hybridracer686
09-21-2011, 11:32 PM
just go and have fun. after the race you will know what you want to do with the bike to make it work better for you. hare scrambles are an endurance race and are scored by your best overall time. depending on the course could go three or more laps, keep track of them mentally. running extra laps effects your overall time. use open areas fields, motocross track, ect. to pass dont be afraid to blaze a new trail to get around stoped or stuck riders. try to keep a steady pace and ride safe.

05DodgeDakota
09-22-2011, 06:12 PM
You nor anyone else has mentioned Nerf Bars yet! A good quality set of Race Peg Nerf Bars with heel guards is a must for any quad, no matter what type of riding or racing you do!

cannondale27
09-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Get yourself a Camelback or some other hydro pack.Is amazing how much better a drink of water makes you feel during a race.Also just dont stop during the race ever.Slow down if you tire or if someone needs to pass but dont stop.

cumby199
09-22-2011, 08:25 PM
i forgot to say that i have the big dg nerf bar with the big heal gaurds on them but i will look into a hydration backbag. also how long do these races normally last? im only 16 and am new to all of this

hybridracer686
09-22-2011, 10:27 PM
three to five laps and as long as two hours. and yeah hydration pack is a good idea one can be had cheap 20 bucks or less in the bike isle at any superstore ie. wallmart.

Quadracer667
09-23-2011, 09:46 AM
oury grips will help alot and just pace urself for a last lap blitz and u should do alright. a slip on exhaust wil give u a good power upgrade a jet kit is also keep and helps power and throtle response.

GAZ-V-21
09-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by cumby199
i have good gear already and im needing new grips but mine are still kinda good. my 400 has hand gaurds and i have skid plates on. but when i have them on i dont have much ground clearence. would that be a problem? i already have a uni filter but would a 90 throttle make that big off a difference? i have never raced a harescramble so i dont want to jump into something big. i think my first race will be taylorville illinois on october 16th. i just wanted a idea of what its like and some tips on this whole thing. how much is it to race in taylorville at south fork i live in springfield il and ride in taylorvile alot.

cumby199
09-24-2011, 09:15 PM
its 30 bucks to race and its october 16th. its part of the district 11 or something

GAZ-V-21
09-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Just got done riding at south fork today talked to the owner about the hare scramble i think im gonna do it to sounds like fun i hit about every trail at the place so that i could get to know all the trails as much as possible i will probably go akain next sunday. Here is a short video of the only mud i could find to get me and the 400 dirty in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDx2wBOIGVM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

GAZ-V-21
09-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Is there trophys and stuff like that? I dont plan on getting one just asking lol. I cant find much info besides what the lady at south fork told me i guess i gotta register with ama district 17

300racer
09-25-2011, 06:30 PM
if your just going to try a harescramble i would just run what you have don't buy anything till you know you like it and want to do it.
you get plaques at taylorville but taylorville has the worse harscramble track i have ever raced at. it will be a good starting race but the trails are wide open and there is no hills or anything. you should try a harescramble at casey il. ltm off road they have nice race tracks most of the time.

GAZ-V-21
09-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Ya this for me is a trial race to see how i like it. Where is casey il i live in springfield. You are right trails at taylorville dont have many hills and trails are very rutted alot are hard to get around on.

cumby199
09-25-2011, 10:04 PM
yeah i just turned 16 and im just looking to get started, im from quincy il and i have done a flat track race at my fair and taylorville and did the palmayra fair and raced at carthage last night. i have talked to people and they said harescrambles would proabaly be best for me. i was thinking about doing the team harescramble at ltm but i want to see how this goes first.

Stickman400
09-26-2011, 02:01 AM
Hey I live about 30 minutes from Quincy cumby. Do you like Carthage? I went out there awhile back before they changed it and it was a nice track. But I heard they made it so you go backwards around it now and its worthless.

dxcody
09-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Yea dont go buying stuff for your quad, get a camelbak, throw gas in her and go out and have some fun.

Keep in mind guys he said he wants to race a race, he may not like it. Deff dont go out and buy a slip on. A 400ex has plenty of power already for your first race as you already know.

and also Lincoln Trail Motosports as mentioned already, is having a race november 13th as part of the MID WEST CROSS COUNTRY SERIES team race. It will be my first race, and idk if i will even finish lol You dont have to race on a team you can "ironman it" as we call it, and race by yourself but i think its like a 2 1/2 - 3 hour race.

Havent decided what class i am going to do, since i really dont care where i finish (im just lookin to have fun) i will probably race B class. C class and 1st year racer are very OVERLOADED. They usually have about 35-40 people in first year and C class. B class usually has like 15-20 and if i get behind someone i can keep up, so hopefully they will set a good pace and i wont get passed by any 250 raptors lol!!

cumby199
09-26-2011, 09:59 AM
stickman i did like carthage and it was a alright track seems like its more set up for the dirt bikes then four wheelers but it was still a decent track. the only bad thing is that i was the only 400 up there so i ran in the c class with the 450s. i didnt like that but i would go again.

dxcody i get what your saying. i just want to finish the race. but i will still probably run in the c class. i think me and my buddies are going to do it. im excited to try it and hoping for the best. nut how does that work? you all race or you take turns or what? if its just you racfe and then switch on and off i would rather just have all my team members "ironman" it and hope for the best. haha but 2 and half to 3 hours is along time

300racer
09-26-2011, 10:49 AM
i will be at the team race also. i would run c if i was you casey don't have a first year racer and there prolly wont be mor than 30 wheelers there total. if you have a teamate or teamate's you switch riders every lap you can run the same quad or all run seperate quads when you come around to finish you lap you have to touch your teamate but noone ever does we usually bump tires and the other one takes off. it is a fun race i will be there on a stock 400ex with 450r front shocks in b class come say hi if you go race you wont be the only 400 one there and in c class you could win on a 400.

Stickman400
09-26-2011, 01:07 PM
stickman i did like carthage and it was a alright track seems like its more set up for the dirt bikes then four wheelers but it was still a decent track. the only bad thing is that i was the only 400 up there so i ran in the c class with the 450s. i didnt like that but i would go again. O yea, that track is deffinately setup for bikes. I was there awhile back and there was two decked-out 450s that were clearing everything but that triple. I've seen a couple peolple try that triple and crash right in front of me. But that being said I also saw a 10 year old kid on a KTM 65 clear that thing, and that was crazy. I could clear everything on my 400 until they changed it and made some up-hill tables, I couldn't clear those with 10 foot of run-in up to them.

GAZ-V-21
09-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Is there anywhere to sign up for these races like the taylorvile one? I go to there website and all it says is hare scramble oct 16th no info at all i guess i should of asked the lady more questions when i was there yesterday. Ive never raced before and just want a better idea on how it all works.

cumby199
09-26-2011, 04:23 PM
so should i find a couple of my friends to do this race with me or do it by my self? i wouldnt mind doing it by myself its just would it be better to do it with team mates. i just want to see how this one goes in taylorville. im hoping for the best.

carthage now is just a a few big jumps and some doubles and odds and ends stuff. i tried doubling one and came short flew over handle bars but i stayed on and shot of a turn lol. but its a track to go to have fun not competion. or at least for me

cumby199
09-26-2011, 04:26 PM
there website isnt the best. it says you ahve to sign in by 830am i know that. i would just ask them for more information next time you go there. when i went to race there you just s=payed the gate fee and then went to the office to sign up for the classes

dxcody
09-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by 300racer
i will be at the team race also. i would run c if i was you casey don't have a first year racer and there prolly wont be mor than 30 wheelers there total. if you have a teamate or teamate's you switch riders every lap you can run the same quad or all run seperate quads when you come around to finish you lap you have to touch your teamate but noone ever does we usually bump tires and the other one takes off. it is a fun race i will be there on a stock 400ex with 450r front shocks in b class come say hi if you go race you wont be the only 400 one there and in c class you could win on a 400.

This ISNT an actual Lincoln Trail race though. This is MID WEST XC that is using Lincoln Trails ground to do that race. There is a first year racer and there will be at least 50 quads there, probably more.

Last year the lincoln trail series wasnt all that popular but this is a MIDWEST race. I am trying to talk Ockerman into racing it, he races a few midwest races a year.

You dont even have to have a kill switch for MID WEST XC, they dont check. All you need is like $40 and a helmet and you can race a midwest race. No AMA card required.

dxcody
09-26-2011, 04:32 PM
so should i find a couple of my friends to do this race with me or do it by my self? i wouldnt mind doing it by myself its just would it be better to do it with team mates. i just want to see how this one goes in taylorville. im hoping for the best.

carthage now is just a a few big jumps and some doubles and odds and ends stuff. i tried doubling one and came short flew over handle bars but i stayed on and shot of a turn lol. but its a track to go to have fun not competion. or at least for me

Since its your first race, i would run it with teammates due to fatigue, but its up to you, i am going to ironman it if i race just because my buddies are already partnered up.

You will do extremely well if you ironman it, because if you have a team then you only get partial points.

This race will be an excellent starter race because its a NON POINTS race. Everyone is just going out to have fun.

cumby199
09-26-2011, 04:37 PM
so if i bring a stock 400 will i be alright running in a first year class??
and how do we sign up for this and get more information

cumby199
09-26-2011, 04:38 PM
i think me and my firends might just all ironman it.. but if i do any good what would i get. haha not planning on do any good just wondering

GAZ-V-21
09-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
Since its your first race, i would run it with teammates due to fatigue, but its up to you, i am going to ironman it if i race just because my buddies are already partnered up.

You will do extremely well if you ironman it, because if you have a team then you only get partial points.

This race will be an excellent starter race because its a NON POINTS race. Everyone is just going out to have fun. cool ya i think im going to run the whole thing myself was wondering a few things though can i register the day of race or do i need to pre register? Also i need to get an ama registration or card or something can that be done day of race? what class should i register for?

dxcody
09-26-2011, 04:43 PM
My buddies raced the MIDWEST series this year and they cut the class in half (like say there is 18 people in c class, the top 9 get plaques.) But since its a team race and not for points im not 100% sure you will get anything even if you win. Pro winners will get a payout of some sort i am sure. I would just race pro
:p JK lol

midwestxc.com or get on there facebook page its http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/118773764803287/

you can ask them any questions and they usually reply pretty quick, or other racers will get on there and reply to your questions. They have a forums page on their website you can ask questions as well.

GAZ-V-21
09-26-2011, 04:44 PM
so if i bring a stock 400 will i be alright running in a first year class??
and how do we sign up for this and get more information Lol we was pretty much askin same questions at same time.

dxcody
09-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by GAZ-V-21
cool ya i think im going to run the whole thing myself was wondering a few things though can i register the day of race or do i need to pre register? Also i need to get an ama registration or card or something can that be done day of race? what class should i register for?

No AMA card required, but you can get on AMA website and get one for $35, and you just register the day of the race, i am pretty positive that its only $40 to race, plus gate fee. It might be $35 or $45 though, i know its under $50

dxcody
09-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Lol we was pretty much askin same questions at same time.

Yea 400 will be great, there isnt really any monster hills or anything at lincoln trail. Im running B class with one. Maybe C im not sure yet :p

Will probably start on the MX track (great MX track)

GAZ-V-21
09-26-2011, 04:53 PM
No AMA card required, but you can get on AMA website and get one for $35, and you just register the day of the race, i am pretty positive that its only $40 to race, plus gate fee. It might be $35 or $45 though, i know its under $50 oh cool lady behind counter at southfork tol me i had to get ama card and it was 49 bucks but she did not seem to know much about the race lol thanks for the quick reply i cant wait to race.

cumby199
09-26-2011, 04:53 PM
im probably just going to ironman it all. hope for the best. but all i need is a helmet goggles and that stuff? and its 40 bucks to race plus gate fee? what time would it start and all that stuff???

GAZ-V-21
09-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Are we all talking same race? Im doing the one in taylorville illinois

cumby199
09-26-2011, 05:00 PM
the taylorville race is just a race part of the district 17 and its not a team race but im dong that and then going to do the one in casey il too. taylorville i think you need a district card. but im not sure.. you will have to ask them

GAZ-V-21
09-26-2011, 05:07 PM
the taylorville race is just a race part of the district 17 and its not a team race but im dong that and then going to do the one in casey il too. taylorville i think you need a district card. but im not sure.. you will have to ask them cool thanks i will look into it tomorrow i wish southforks website had some info

cumby199
09-26-2011, 05:10 PM
yes i know what you mean. if you find out more inforamtion let me know. thanks

GAZ-V-21
09-26-2011, 05:15 PM
yes i know what you mean. if you find out more inforamtion let me know. thanks when i talked to the lady yesterday she said gotta have boots that go over ankle helmet goggles pants and long sleeve shirt i will call tomorrow and ask her more and let you know what they say.

CJM
09-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Ive seen people racing in jean, t-shirts and work boots-it all qualifies lol.

dxcody
09-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Ive seen people racing in jean, t-shirts and work boots-it all qualifies lol.

Thats what im wearing. Maybe a chest protector with a cut off depends how chilly it is that day.

Everyone tells me a reallly need to wear riding boots but i havent put enough time on them to get used to them

dxcody
09-26-2011, 05:58 PM
This was takin from the first round of midwest xc 2011 season,
Work boots, jeans and a sweatshirt.

CJM
09-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Riding boots are good, they protect your ankles and shins quite well-but imho they are totally uncomfortable otherwise. I never had an issue with my timberlands.

I myself ride that exact setup lol, why spend cash on clothes? I do have a jersey I wear sometimes tho-thats it.

dxcody
09-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Riding boots are good, they protect your ankles and shins quite well-but imho they are totally uncomfortable otherwise. I never had an issue with my timberlands.

I myself ride that exact setup lol, why spend cash on clothes? I do have a jersey I wear sometimes tho-thats it.

FINALLY! someone agrees with me. lol When its muddy i wear my tall rubber boots and jeans and i have a moose racing jersey that i wear every now and then The pants i have that match the jersey, are too small for me so i wear jeans lol

Stickman400
09-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Lol, that's the same thing I wear aswell. I have 2 pairs of riding pants that don't fit, so I just wear jeans. I also have a pair of 50/50 boots that I wear every now and then and a pair of 'O Neill full riding boots that never see the light of day. Then 2 Thor riding jerseys with my last name and number on them, that way I look like a pro when I'm riding the trails. :D

cumby199
09-26-2011, 08:07 PM
i wear just jeans work boots and a fox racing jersey with a fox helmet and goggles. i dont care what it looks like. its just for fun. im not out for the "looks" like all those pros.. im just excited for this race

300racer
09-27-2011, 10:48 AM
This ISNT an actual Lincoln Trail race though. This is MID WEST XC that is using Lincoln Trails ground to do that race. There is a first year racer and there will be at least 50 quads there, probably more.

Last year the lincoln trail series wasnt all that popular but this is a MIDWEST race. I am trying to talk Ockerman into racing it, he races a few midwest races a year.

You dont even have to have a kill switch for MID WEST XC, they dont check. All you need is like $40 and a helmet and you can race a midwest race. No AMA card required.
thats cool i have not race a mid west xc race. im glad they are running it cause last year there was a total of maybe 10 quads.

GAZ-V-21
09-27-2011, 05:36 PM
I gotta hurry up and get some nerf bars for this race

CJM
09-27-2011, 05:48 PM
I gotta hurry up and get some nerf bars for this race

Not sure if you would like them, but I have the tusk ones with the rear kick up. Other than needing a floor jack to persuade some of the bolt holes to lineup they have performed flawlessly-even in the rocky coal mtns of Pennsylvania.

I also hope you have good skidplates, I myself LOVE pro-armor. I have the 1/4" thick swingarm skid and its beat to hell but its doing its job.

GAZ-V-21
09-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Do i have to get nerf bars to race in hare scramble?

CJM
09-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Do i have to get nerf bars to race in hare scramble?

Depends on who is conducting the event, but even if they arent required I would buy them. Not only are you more stable due to the larger foot area but they protect your feet form being run over or hit by someone/something else.

GAZ-V-21
09-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Depends on who is conducting the event, but even if they arent required I would buy them. Not only are you more stable due to the larger foot area but they protect your feet form being run over or hit by someone/something else. true

dxcody
09-27-2011, 06:21 PM
No sir, at MIDWEST you can run anything you want. You can run footpegs only if you wish (not reccomended at all IMO)

Please, for your sake, dont do like most people and take your heel guards off and just run footpegs and nerfs.

If its muddy and your foot slips, where is it going to land? Infront of the rear tire, then your foot gets ran over and your shin gets busted up against your footpeg (speaking from experience) and its a real bad day.

I got lucky and only broke 2 toes, but im tellin ya, heel gaurds are a must IMO!

Your choice tho. I prefer, heel guards/nerf bar combo. Or as CJM said he has, nerfs with the heel guards or the rear kickup built on.

GAZ-V-21
09-28-2011, 06:16 AM
Thanks cody im gonna try and get nerfs before race just not sure if ill have the money by then i will nit take off heel guards though.

cumby199
09-28-2011, 09:39 AM
i have the big dg nerf bars and i would recomnded them to anyone. there really big and have the built in hell gurads

300racer
09-28-2011, 11:00 AM
i have a set of ac nerf bars i will sell for 50 plus shipping. they woulld be there the next day since you live fairly close to me.

rockbrook
09-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by 300racer
i have a set of ac nerf bars i will sell for 50 plus shipping. they woulld be there the next day since you live fairly close to me.
Do they have heel guards?? i may be interested if they're not too beat up.

300racer
09-28-2011, 11:09 AM
no they don't have heal guards i just have the stock heal guards on.

rockbrook
09-28-2011, 12:13 PM
ok well IF you still have'em by next week i may take them off of your hands.
Sorry to thread Jack to the OP

GAZ-V-21
09-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Gonna go out to south fork and get some more trail practice try to figure out where all the big ruts are so i dont hit them and flip

cumby199
10-03-2011, 10:21 AM
do you have to have a ama card to do this race?

GAZ-V-21
10-03-2011, 10:48 AM
do you have to have a ama card to do this race? yes but you can get at race

GAZ-V-21
10-03-2011, 01:43 PM
I think i broke or bruised a rib yesterday riding gotta go get x ray

cumby199
10-04-2011, 09:10 AM
how much will it be to race?

GAZ-V-21
10-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Was wondering if the red switch on left side of handlebar on my 2007 400ex is considered a kill switch? They said i gotta have one to race

CJM
10-05-2011, 08:12 AM
No, you gotta have a tether type kill switch. Basically a line thats connected to a switch you wire in to interrupt the cdi soif you fall off it shuts the quad off.

See here: Kill switch (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=411015#post3708160)

GAZ-V-21
10-05-2011, 08:23 AM
How much do they normaly cost?

CJM
10-05-2011, 08:31 AM
How much do they normaly cost?
20 bucks, they arent expensive.

GAZ-V-21
10-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Oh 20 sounds good to me

GAZ-V-21
10-05-2011, 03:24 PM
One last question does anybody make nerf bars that bolt right on with no drilling at a reasonable price

CJM
10-05-2011, 05:22 PM
One last question does anybody make nerf bars that bolt right on with no drilling at a reasonable price

Tusk, I have a set and they have held up just fine with no issues at all. They bolt onto the motor mounts, subframe mounts and replace the footpegs with mounds they slide into. The suckers are rock solid imho. think they cost me 180 on ebay.

GAZ-V-21
10-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Tusk, I have a set and they have held up just fine with no issues at all. They bolt onto the motor mounts, subframe mounts and replace the footpegs with mounds they slide into. The suckers are rock solid imho. think they cost me 180 on ebay. i think that is what i was just looking at and a set of pro armor if i have to remove heel guards for them to fit will i still be able to race i like the black pro armor pro am nerfs but cant tell if i would need to remove the stock heel guards for them to fit

CJM
10-05-2011, 07:47 PM
I have the ones where the heel guards are part of the nerfs. You remove your stock heel guards to use them.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=99&navTitle=ATV+Parts&webCatId=24&keyword=tusk+nerf+bars&prodFamilyId=16169

cumby199
10-10-2011, 05:57 PM
how much will it cost for the ama card? and how much will it be to do the race?