PDA

View Full Version : bike has problems starting, could small kick lever be issue?

motoseth23
09-21-2011, 03:29 PM
ive got a crf 450 hybrid that has just been re done completley through the motor, the crank, piston,rings,stator,cdi box, new valves an seals an all that. i can get it to start after about 8 or 9 kicks and i cant figure out why? its jetted right and everything. everything on its right and it has me dumb founded. but i have one little issue... the kick lever on it looks like its off a cr80.. its super small and i dont think im getting the long enough stride of a kick to give my plug a full spark or even turn the motor over fast enough. if i get a couple good hard kicks in an then kick it a few times fast it usually will try to start.. could this problem be possible fixed with a yz kick lever or even crf kicker?? please let me know what you guys think. thank you!

250x_kyle
09-21-2011, 04:05 PM
are you lightly rollign the motor over to top dead center and giving it a good boot? i doubt a the kick start lever has anything to do with it.

deathman53
09-21-2011, 04:10 PM
the small kicker has nothing to do w/ it, you need to re"learn" how to start a new breed 4 stroke. I had the same thing happen to me.

motoseth23
09-21-2011, 05:05 PM
any suggestions on how to re"learn" on how to start it?? top dead center or what? id appreciate it alot if you could tell me. im dying to get this thing running first couple kicks.

IRISH-RACER-14
09-21-2011, 05:10 PM
id imagine that no matter how short or long the lever your still turning that shaft the same amount. the longer the lever the more leverage and softer the kick will be. the short lever would be tougher to kick. might not be even noticeable

deathman53
09-21-2011, 05:29 PM
how I start mine, kick it easy 2 times, you feel a point where it is real hard to kick. Reset the kicker, then kick it evenly and throughout, it should start at that point. after this kick it will be very easy to kick over, if you didn't start it. If you didn't start it, when it was at TDC, kick it 3 more times easy, all 3 will be easy, you will be at TDC again and kick it evenly and steady. No jerky movement like you would w/ a 2 stroke. The older 4 strokes were less fussy about if it wasn't at TDC. 10 kicks max, if no start, throttle held WOT and easy kicks, then restart kicker technique. You will get used to it and it will be easy. I rode 2 strokes and air-cooled 4 strokes, it took a nice bit or "re" learning to start this one.

motoseth23
09-21-2011, 07:55 PM
okay i will give it a shot an see how it goes. thanks for your help.

chopp124
09-23-2011, 09:15 PM
i shorten the levers for people so its def not that im sure its in the kick sequence i have seen people on here get bikes dirt cheap cause seller couldnt start it.