PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Fuel Screw for the 400ex ???

Langbolt
09-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Does Anyone make an Aftermarket Fuel Screw for the 400ex ?

I've seen the ones for the FCR style carb....but does anyone make one for the STOCK OEM 400ex carb ?

The only alternative is to buy a 90 degree screwdriver ???

:(

CJM
09-20-2011, 07:06 PM
No one makes one for us sadly. Ive been thinking about it and come up with an idea that will work-but you gotta sacrifice your screw to do it.

Take the screw out and drill slightly into it, then using some epoxy, glue a long rod, screw, bolt or whatever to the end of it. That or since its brass you could solder something to the end of it too.

Me, I adjust mine by loosening the boots and leaving off the idle screw and then twist the carb to me and use a flathead.

honda400ex2003
09-20-2011, 07:12 PM
you could grind it flat, then tap a bolt into it. it would be a very small bolt but could be done i suppose

loctite it in there and let er rip. you could try the 450 one also. it seems that i have heard a few guys that use it.

might be worth a search
steve

kt1148
09-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I put one of these on my stock 400ex carb and it works just finehttp://worksconnection.com/details.php?id=568 Makes it a lot easier to adjust than that stupid D-shaped screw head.

Langbolt
09-21-2011, 10:57 AM
KT1148 - I bought one of those......but the needle tip is totally different ?

That one has a STEP in it.....and the OEM needle has a straight taper.

Is Your Idle good ? Starts up Cold & Hot with ease ?

Maybe I will try it....I was gonna take it back to the SHOP

:devil:

chronicsmoke
09-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Langbolt

At least request they use lube first before you bend over! :blah:

J/K, Hows that 330R coming Langbolt? I'll have to treck it with my 250 that way to check it out when it's finished!

Langbolt
09-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
At least request they use lube first before you bend over! :blah:

J/K, Hows that 330R coming Langbolt? I'll have to treck it with my 250 that way to check it out when it's finished!

LOL...I meant take the Fuel Screw back to the SHOP!!!

I don't trust too many people to touch my TOYZ!

The 330R is together.....Sounds Great....Quickchange Clutch cover has a leak...gotta get some Garage time.....I wanna enter her in the QOTM for October!

I was out on the 400EX this past weekend and the Jetting is way off! I'm running a 145 Main 38 Pilot Needle on 3rd clip and the bike blubbers after 3/4 throttle like crazy....plug is dry black down the insulator....clean @ the electrode ????

It should be white or grey with the Airbox lid removed and the Pro-Circuit pipe I have on it!!!

I'm thinking maybe the Accelerator Pump might be leaking raw fuel into the carb ??? Or the Needle&Seat are bad......but if I leave the Fuel Petcock on....it doesn't overflow ???

This thing has me really stumped!!!

Close to getting a 39mm FCR!!!

kt1148
09-21-2011, 08:08 PM
KT1148 - I bought one of those......but the needle tip is totally different ?

That one has a STEP in it.....and the OEM needle has a straight taper.

Is Your Idle good ? Starts up Cold & Hot with ease ?

:devil: Idles the same as it did with the OEM screw. Always takes longer to stay running in the winter, but 400ex's are cold blooded.

kt1148
09-21-2011, 08:15 PM

The 330R is together.....Sounds Great....Quickchange Clutch cover has a leak...gotta get some Garage time.....I wanna enter her in the QOTM for October!

I was out on the 400EX this past weekend and the Jetting is way off! I'm running a 145 Main 38 Pilot Needle on 3rd clip and the bike blubbers after 3/4 throttle like crazy....plug is dry black down the insulator....clean @ the electrode ????

It should be white or grey with the Airbox lid removed and the Pro-Circuit pipe I have on it!!!

I'm thinking maybe the Accelerator Pump might be leaking raw fuel into the carb ??? Or the Needle&Seat are bad......but if I leave the Fuel Petcock on....it doesn't overflow ???

:devil: Stock jets are 148 main/38 pilot. Look over this chart it's a great starting point...http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445695&highlight=jetting+placement

honda400ex2003
09-22-2011, 06:45 PM

hopefully you meant a 155 instead of a 145. 3.5 turns out on the f/a screw with a 38 pilot in it and the needle on the 3rd not should get you really close. if not, something is def wrong somewhere. lol

steve

Langbolt
09-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Well well well......

I got a Carb Rebuild kit and replaced everything....Needle....Float Needle....Pilot (42).....Main (160)......Fuel Screw....and low and behold there was an O-ring in the KIT......hmmm

So I removed that BLACK CONTROL thingy....And low and behold the darn O-ring was missing from there!!!!

That black thing is what controls the vaccuum....or works on vacuum to do something important.....

I slipped a NEW o-ring in there.....and she fired right up

Idles beautifully.....responsive off idle

I set the fuel screw at 2 turns out.....might not need to adjust further.....:D

Now I just gotta take 'er for a spin and see if the top end cleans out!!!

I shoulda taken a picture and made a seperate post on this.....I wonder how many others have had this issue ????

kt1148
09-24-2011, 10:23 PM
It always feels good when you find the problem and an easy fix. Glad you figured it out, have fun ridin,,,,:macho

Langbolt
09-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Well....it's still running like crap....like there's a REV limiter on it set to 3000rpm

I have a feeling the CDI is bad.....gonna order a DYNA CDI today

It just won't rev up......I've tried main jets from 145 to 160

The 160 was sooooo black.....so I know there's trouble with the ignition

I hate electrical problems......darn little gremlins!!!

CJM
09-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Dont waste your cash on a cdi, its not that.

Its still carb related, either is dirty, the plug is fouled out, the gas your using is bad or soemthing is wrong internally with the carb.

Try adjusting your needle, but if anything to meit sounds as if the choke was on while you were riding it

Is the air filter really dirty and restricitng it? Might be worth checking out.

This thread may help http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=325803&perpage=10&pagenumber=1 .

Langbolt
09-26-2011, 11:36 AM
That's what I thought too.....but if you could hear how it sounds when you try rev it up ...you'd say WTF too!

Thanks for the LINK....I will definitely check the Switch by the clutch....I hope that's all it is!!!

Carb is spotless with all brand new jets ,screws o-rings etc

Filter is K&N & clean

I tried a new plug each time

one Iridium & the other a copper core

Fresh 94 Octane fuel

I do need a new choke lever as the one on it will actually come on when revved.....So I MacGyver'd a rubber band on the frame to hold it OPEN

It's got all my buddies stumped too!

It ran great last season....top end is all new!

I think the girlfriend put a curse on it because she doesn't want me riding after my surgery that I had 6months ago!!!!