PDA

View Full Version : Jet fuel?

steve181
09-20-2011, 11:28 AM
read on the 450 forums that you could go to an airport and purchace jet fuel ( 100-108 octane) cheaper than race gas

thoughts?

trailrider894
09-20-2011, 11:48 AM
I'd be afraid of the additives in it... Who knows what they put in it. Do some re-search, call their suppliers, eetc.... maybe somebody has more input??

evan402
09-20-2011, 11:55 AM
years back these crazy kids i used to hang out with used to use jet fuel in their dirtbikes. They were absolutely nuts-one is serving life in prison and the other is dead. I dont know if the fuel had anything to do with it but they had to rebuild their motors every other month. They also beat the hell out their bikes too. Sooo yeah idk.

powerbomb400
09-20-2011, 02:00 PM
I myself run 110 fuel from a dirt track car shop. Avation fuel is high in octane but does have a different mixture in it. I give 7.00 dollars a gallon. You can run a mixture of 3 gallons of 110 and 2 gallons of 93 octane gas without ethnanol if there is a station that sells somewhere near you. If you have a 12.1 to 1 compression ratio you will need to run 110 straight. I beard of people running avation fuel thou.

05DodgeDakota
09-20-2011, 02:38 PM
it should be noted that Aviation Fuel (100LL) and Jet fuel are different things. Jet fuel is basically Kerosene and I doubt you can run it in your engine.

Thumpin440ex
09-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota
it should be noted that Aviation Fuel (100LL) and Jet fuel are different things. Jet fuel is basically Kerosene and I doubt you can run it in your engine.

Exactly.. You do not want to run Jet in your gasoline engined.. As far as running av-gas, I would stay away from it.. It has diff additives then your conventional race/leaded fuel, can actually hinder performance.. It is not made to run at ground levels, is made to be ran at constant rpms.. Even using cam2. It can hinder performance because of the flash points of it, other make ups of it.. Unless you have huge compression, lots of timing, it is a waste imo other then the good smell you get from it(cam2)

John

Baileygunns
09-20-2011, 07:22 PM
AV fuel/AV Gas/100LL is great... It isn't a substitute for "race" gas but if you're border line with compression issues you can run it opposed pump gas to be safe.

Also the LL stands for Low Lead. The lead that is in the fuel is great for a top end. Keeps the valves "lubed".

If you can get a hold of it at a local airport there is no reason not to run it. You may not see any power gains depending on your set up but your top end may thank you.

It runs the same at altitude as it does on the ground. The most strain on a small aircraft is during take off... After that you're just maintaining. So to say it doesn't run well on the ground is silly. Also fuel has nothing to do with running a constant RPM... Do you set your car on cruise control while on the highway and run pump gas or do you put special fuel in for those long trips?

Hope that didn't sound like bashing... Not my intent.

CJM
09-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Most people dont know, but you can lean out or richen the gas mixture in most small aircraft anyways..

Thumpin440ex
09-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
AV fuel/AV Gas/100LL is great... It isn't a substitute for "race" gas but if you're border line with compression issues you can run it opposed pump gas to be safe.

Also the LL stands for Low Lead. The lead that is in the fuel is great for a top end. Keeps the valves "lubed".

If you can get a hold of it at a local airport there is no reason not to run it. You may not see any power gains depending on your set up but your top end may thank you.

It runs the same at altitude as it does on the ground. The most strain on a small aircraft is during take off... After that you're just maintaining. So to say it doesn't run well on the ground is silly. Also fuel has nothing to do with running a constant RPM... Do you set your car on cruise control while on the highway and run pump gas or do you put special fuel in for those long trips?

Hope that didn't sound like bashing... Not my intent.

Might want to check up on it.. It has diff additives then regular leaded fuel does.. ;)

John

Baileygunns
09-21-2011, 05:13 AM
I researched it before I ran it.

You lean and richen the fuel in a plane for altitude change, just like you lean or richen your quad if you're running at sea level or up in the mountains.

Baileygunns
09-21-2011, 05:22 AM
This is a post I had on another site awhile ago about the subject.

So I spent most of the day researching this 100LL...

As far as a deposit build up and eating you engine? I understand it was a problem on old cars that had been running leaded fuel all their life. They had build up on the valves. As for the amount of fuel you would run in an ATV, you don't have to worry about it. Basically your going to rebuild before you get to that point anyhow... LONG before you get to that point.

The term "dry" is used with 100LL because it is a light lead fuel. Dry meaning it had less lead than other leaded fuels at the time making it "dry" on lead... It has nothing to do with drying out your engine. You might have to bump up a jet or 2 but that's with any race fuel.

If you're built to the hilt you're going to want to run race fuel for the octane but for a stock motor you're fine with running the 100LL. I read that it's basically a 105 octane. It's a middle of the road fuel between pump gas and race gas. Allot of people say it's not a race gas only because it doesn't say "race gas" on the label.

The lead will act as a lubricant for your valves, guides and seals. This will prolong the life of you top end. Some people are mixing it with Klotz or even mystery oil. No one seems to know why. I couldn't find an actual reason... There are just as many people running it straight with out issues. (Obviously I'm talking 4 stroke here) Apparently from what I understand, you can run the 100LL up to a 13:1 comp set up with out an issue. (This was tue for the 450R)

We all know 100LL is used for aviation and we all know aviation is held to a higher standard than the automotive world... If it's good enough for them it's good enough for us... I read about how octane ratings react different at altitude and 100LL is made for high altitude. A plane has to take off from the ground. That's where the most load is on the engine is. After a plane levels out and is cruising the pilot can lean out the fuel to conserve fuel. There was some talk about the fuel being used for low rev engines and not liking the high revs. That was put to rest when I read about turbo powered planes running the fuel and the wide range of RPMs different planes run at.

There was some complaint about snappiness of throttle response with 100LL compared to race gas. Apparently it may seem to lag a little compared to a race gas? Again that's compared to a race gas. Compared to a pump gas it burns faster, cleaner, and cooler.

If you built to the wall and have the need for a race gas then run that... If have a mild to stock build and you're looking for a cooler cleaner fuel that will lube your valve train, run 100LL.

VP is running some where around $9 bucks a gallon, 100LL is on average $4.52 a gallon... The 93 is almost $3 a gallon around me... If you think about how much fuel you burn in a weekend it might cost you an extra $4 or $5 bucks? You can buy it at a local airport, aperantly some even have a self serve pumps that you can swipe a card and fill up at...

I can't find one story of it being bad... Other than the one guy that put it in an old car that had been sitting for ever and it leaked from the fuel lines, gas tank and carb all at the same time... Sounds like that would have happened if he put anything in it...

Long story short... I can't find a reason not to run it.

Balaz_73*00
09-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Ive been running av100ll for 2 years exclusively on my 13:1 piston in my 450r. You know what? My internals look perfect. Even better than 'gas station race fuel' that is 100 octane or whatever it is.

F-16Guy
09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
I never had a problem running 100LL. I've run it straight and 50/50. Smells good, too!:D