PDA

View Full Version : Man, more motor problems!!

dxcody
09-19-2011, 08:56 PM
I dont remember if i told you this or not but when i tore my motor apart, the previous owner had used allthread as a headstud. (pretty bright huh?)

Well i guess he used helicoil, on the allthread.

Well this really F'd me when i went to get my GTT headstuds installed because i guess you cant drill through helicoil?

Is there any trick to this or am i going to have to buy a new cylinder and have my freshly honed sleave punched out and put into the new cylinder?

CJM
09-19-2011, 09:01 PM
They COULD tig weld the hole shut and redo the entire thing, but Im pretty sure the solutions gonna be to get a new cylinder and put your sleeve in it.

dxcody
09-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Oh man, oh well at least it will be right.

The part that really ticks me off is i just had an extra cylinder with a good sleeve and everything and i just gave it to some guy because i said, "oh i will never use it!"

FML! lol

but its all good
thanks for the quick reply CJM :cool:

01boneless
09-19-2011, 09:05 PM
been there dude !just havent on the head studs (yet) there is a trick i use but its a pain and dosent work if the coil is real deep. take a pick and find the end of the coil and work it out (pry on it) and lock vice scrips on it and pull ( probley wont work in you case though:ermm: another trick whitch is a last resort but usaly works is take an over size corse thread bolt and force it in up and keep tightening and loosening it up bringing a little coil out at a time. and if that dont work turn the bolt in one thread and pull!!!!! its a bit PITA

dxcody
09-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Ill prolly just try to find a cheap used cylinder without a sleeve on ebay.

Thanks for the reply tho! Really appriciate the help boneless!

But at the same time i will prolly get my old cylinder back and try your mothods boneless, so then i can get that cylinder set up to a 416 with the HD studs for when i blow up my 426 hahaha

:devil:

CJM
09-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Now, if you got a really good machine shop that can make parts from scratch you could do this-but Im pretty sure my grandfather (retired tool/die maker/master machinist) is the only one who would entertain this thought:

Take the stud and remove it, then get the helicoil junk out. Then create a custom solid insert to fix the sizing problem-then lock it in the thread sealer or weld it in.

Ive seen/helped my grandfather do this sort of stuff years ago back when he wasnt retired-its alot of work but you know its fixed.

dxcody
09-19-2011, 09:18 PM
That may be something i have to try because once i get the helicoil out, the hole may be to big for the HD stud. (haha that doesnt sound wrong! )

Luckly for me, i know the guys at the local machine shop really well so they may TRY this for me over a few months in thier free time. Thanks Guys!

01boneless
09-19-2011, 09:30 PM
it wont be to big just re drill it to clean it up and put the same hili back in (red or blue locktight id say red lol) and be good no need to go buy a new cylnder yet lol done this many times

dxcody
09-19-2011, 09:49 PM
well the thing is the local machine shop has my cylinder and i am really wanting to just get this quad done and the cylinder is the only thing holding me back, well that and i cant get the nut off the crankshaft to replace the timing chain.

AtvKid4Eva
09-20-2011, 06:54 AM
I would definitely just get a new "Used" cylinder and have the HD studs installed. This way you wont have to tear it all back down in the future because it will be built right. Isn't it fun when simple things turn into a nightmare because of someone else's stupidity? lol

dxcody
09-20-2011, 06:42 PM
oh yea i hate when people half as* stuff on motors. I mean come on it is YOUR MOTOR! it makes you go, lol if you cut corners, your just goin to have more problems.

Got my new cylinder ordered and got my timing chain off on ebay you can pick up a crf450 timing chain for $34 shipped