View Full Version : Decisions On Yfz450 Xc Suspension Work. Opinions Needed. Thanks.

BakerRacing40
09-19-2011, 08:13 PM
I’m looking to improve my suspension on my 2004 YFZ450 for XC Racing. Currently I’m running stock 04 a-arms with 09 yfz(carb) shocks, moose tie rod kit, burgard stem, etc on the front end. On the rear it is all stock 04 components, plus a skid plate of course. budget is tight but planing on running with the intermediate class or going all the way to the pro-class so if improvements to the quad can help me improve lap time by 45 seconds or so, i can be tire to tire with them.

On the front:
I’m looking to buy a set of Max Ground Clearance Long Travel XC A-Arms in the very near future. I’m going to try to use stock take off yfzr front shocks, from what I understand I can use these since the A-Arms will be long travel. Right? So the next question is what a-arms should I go with? I have been looking around and these are what I’ve found so far:
JD Performance Long Travel MGC Arms = $799
ASR-FX Pro Max XC A ARMS= $849
HOUSER MGC Long Travel Silicast A Arms= $874.99
LONESTAR DC-4 XC Long travel = $849
BOPP Big Clearance XC A Arms = $899
Walsh is out of my price range at $1500
Tiexeira Tech has some vicious looking ones that aren’t available yet, priced at $945 which is more than I expected to fork out.
Open to other brands also..
Or :
Buy a set of stock replacement uppers and have my shocks revalved.
GT Thunder will revalve and put the dual rate spring kit on for $395 not sure what other places charge.
JD Performance stock replacement uppers for $249
Ricky Stator replacement uppers for $219
And where to get the shocks revalved and resprung?
Liking the JD’s out of these two. Still open to other brands also..

On the rear:

I already plan to swap the rear end out and put a newer one on it. I already have the 08 swing arm and a complete take off yfzr rear end, swing arm back. I’ll use the carrier / axle assembly and yfzr brake system. So , I’m left trying to figure out what to do about the rear shock and linkages.
What I’m thinking is buy a newer rear shock and get it revalved and resprung, get a xc link, and the other linkage to have the right year model parts working together. Where to get shock worked and where to get a linkage from? GTTHUNDER, ASR-FX, OR OR OTHER BRAND? Elka linkage requires use of their shock.
Or get the 04/05 XC linkage and use my 04 linkage and shock with it and have the 04 shock worked?
GT Thunder will revalve, respring, and the linkage for the rear for $395, again not sure what others charge.
Or should I go a different route?
What skids do you like best for an 06 and up YFZ for XC racing? Any other products you recommend?
Thanks for your time!

trxrider916
11-17-2011, 09:42 AM
I've had 4 YFZ's and all had different kinds of suspension when I got them but when I got rid of them they ALL were on GT THUNDER revalves or GT Thunder HLS ELITE's!! I absolutely loved the Houser MGC arms with GT revalve/dual rate front shocks and a revalved rear shock with XC link from GT... Laz is an amazing person to deal with, super fast when you need it quick and stands buy his word when he says he will do anything to help his customers!! If you haven't bought some shocks yet, give him a call and see if he can help you out!!

p.s. NO I am not sponsered by GT or anything like that at all. My XC quads have had Elka's, Custom Axis, PEP, Fox, and even tried a set of Ohlin's.. If I were still racing XC, my new yfz would have GT shocks on it too but I went to MX and got a long travel Gibson/Elka set up super cheap.