PDA

View Full Version : Chain tensioner ?

clintcook
09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
What is the best aftermarket chain tensioner for a DRR 70? Will an aftermarket chain tensioner solve a chain loosening problem?

mmsoup
09-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Nope,
tightening the chain before every race and making certain all necessary parts are tight and in good working order is the only way to go.
You can buy a ridiculously expensive roundhouse swingarm and it will be only slightly better...........
The Max RPM tensioner and the ZTR tensioner keep the chain straight and true IF they are adjusted properly

clintcook
09-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks! I seem to have to be tightening my sons chain fairly often. Still using the stock chain, chain up-grade might be in order.

nastynotchback1
09-19-2011, 07:31 AM
i run a tensioner and a guide and the tensioner does it's job.I hardly ever have to adjust the chain

fomospede
09-19-2011, 09:47 AM
that used to be us too
but i made custom lower rear engine mounts
and installed a 400ex front swingarm chain slide
now we can go a long time between adjustments
chain quality is an issue to
good luck
if you want pics send me a email

Logan #34's Dad
09-19-2011, 04:10 PM
I have to disagree with ya soup, the spring loaded tensioners DO take up the slack of the chain as the swingarm travels up and down.
What you need to do clintcook is get your self a good quality chain (stretching is an issue). Find the point throughout the travel where the chain is at its tightest. Tighten is pretty good at that spot. A MaxRPM tensioner will keep your chain nice and tight.
If your carrier is pulling or slipping forward causing the chain to loosen, you could ruff up the 4 points where the carrier and swingarm touch. JMO

fastrnrik
09-19-2011, 04:56 PM
I use the Max Rpm and ZTR chain tensioners, basically the same thing. I don't have any problem with my chain coming loose.
I use the midgrade DID 428 chain on our bikes- about 30 bucks. Never had any issues with em (probably break a chain this weekend now that I said that....)

selbygirl
09-19-2011, 06:34 PM
we use the ztr tensioner and we still run the old style carrier . and our chains never come lose . your chain shouldnt come lose

clintcook
09-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Hey thanks guys for all the good info! This is a nice forum! I ordered my tensioner and new chain. Hey so that i don't have to post another topic... I didn't get any type of a service manual with my DRR, what kind of oil are you all using in the motor? And lastly... how many ride hours are you all getting out of a top end? Thanks alot!

fomospede
09-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Manual at drrinc
You should do a compression test when fresh
And refresh when down 5% or there abouts

selbygirl
09-20-2011, 06:36 PM
we run lucas 2 stroke 32;1 and throw away after 2 weeks mixed in gas and maxima mtl trans clutch oil 80 wght in tranny . and chang air filter after each moto. like fomospede sed check your compression if it goes down change ring . we have had motors run for over a year on same ring