PDA

View Full Version : Rotted case....

crlt250r
09-18-2011, 07:35 AM
I figured that I would most likely get an answer here quicker than if posted in hybrids... I went and pulled my clutch cover off the CR motor that I'm putting in my LT frame, because there was a weeping oil leak right under the clutches. When I got the cover off, I found that there is an area about the size of a quarter that has been eaten through..... Of course, there is water in the oil because there's another leak in the water pump.. its an 85 motor, so only 84-86 will work, and it seems like this is pretty common because there's only one on eBay... Is this something that can be taken care of by a good machine shop? I'm so close to getting this thing up and running, and this new setback is rather discouraging....

C-LEIGH RACING
09-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Not unless the whole area bad is cut out & a new piece welded in, but after that you have heat warpage & machining would be needed to get it back in shape.
Worst thing is the damage in the water pump area, were at & how much.

It might be you could pull the pump apart, getting those pump pieces out of the way & then have it bead blasted real good. After that soak it in some cleaner to get the oils out of the aluminum & then, JB Weld, Lab Metal, Devcon 3 or Marine tech the bad places filling in the holes.
This would only be a cheap get by though which might last a good while & then again not, just depends on prep.
Lab metal, Devcon 3 or Marine Tech is the best.
Neil

headache
09-18-2011, 12:41 PM
yep i say go with some good jb weld or the stuff C-leigh said. i've fixed many cases with that stuff

crlt250r
09-18-2011, 12:54 PM
I picked up a jar of Thermosteel.. will give it a try tonight when I get home.

C-LEIGH RACING
09-18-2011, 01:54 PM
If the cover aint clean & got all the oil out of the aluminum, your wasting your time cause nothing will stick to it.
Neil

crlt250r
09-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Well, lots of wire brushing, some good non oil based degreaser, and a torch to burn off any residue, the cover is up on the shelf with the thermosteel... We shall see in a few hours how it worked.....

crlt250r
09-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Also, I located the leak source at the water pump. Pulled out a 1/2" copper fitting wire brush and scrubbed the outlet port from the housing and found another rot spot. Cleaned and torches that spot real good and patched it in too. Needless to say, my fingers are crossed... :ermm:

HondaPohl
09-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Dont think you want to use thermo steel. Thats a high heat putty. Like 2000 deg. Its not even a putty its real runny. You want a two part epoxy like PC-7 or some of the others that were mentioned.

crlt250r
09-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Well, its too late to pull out now. It's all patched in, and if it doesn't hold, then I'll just be finding another cover. No big deal, main thing right now is just getting it up and running. If it let's go, it let's go. Just a temporary fix until I get a good replacement.

HondaPohl
09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
IF you got it to stick you most likely will be ok. Its just harder to work with IMO. I just used it myself on another application.

crlt250r
09-18-2011, 07:01 PM
I've been doing some research, and found that the 87 cover should bolt up... Might be nice to have the quick access clutch cover....

Rich250RRacer
09-18-2011, 10:31 PM
You're running into a fairly common problem with the late ATAC and HPP motors. Not sure if the 87 will fit the earlier models, there might be a difference in the power valve actuator. The covers rot because the antifreeze isn't changed and becomes acidic, eating away the cover. I've seen NOS covers sell on ebay for $600.

crlt250r
09-19-2011, 04:50 AM
Very true. And to top it off, welding is pretty much out of the question because its magnesium. Messed up how Honda used a mag cover there, just to shave off what? 1 pound? LOL