PDA

View Full Version : Boot cleaning?

HondaRacing83
09-17-2011, 02:24 PM
I've got a pair of Thor Quadrant motocross boots that I'm growing out of, So I figured I'd sell them. I'm having trouble cleaning them, what do you guys use? So far I've tried Citrol degreaser and 409 all purpose cleaner. Before I used Armor All all purpose and it worked pretty well but I don't have any of that anymore. What would work to get the dried on mud off the leather to? I also have these Black scuffs all over them from rubbing on the case, shifter, and brake pedal. How would I get them off? I figured out of anything the degreaser would get em off but it didnt. Thanks in advance guys!

NacsMXer
09-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Mr. Clean magic eraser is the secret to getting all the black scuffs off. Keeps my all white Alpinestars boots looking like new.

quad2xtreme
09-17-2011, 06:13 PM
I use a low setting on my powerwasher first, then use WD40 to get grease and scuff marks off. I even use it on carpet in the house and then finish with regular carpet cleaner. BTW, you should never allow mud to dry on your leather boots. It pulls the moisture out of the leather and will make it crack much sooner.

ZBlaster
09-17-2011, 06:33 PM
I have white Sidi Crossfire's and I wet them, spray them with some good degreaser (LA's Totally Awesome), then wash them off with low pressure. After they dry some WD40 to shine them up and make the mud not stick as bad the next time.

quad2xtreme
09-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks, you inspired be to go clean up my Gaerne SG10 boots. :D

HondaRacing83
09-17-2011, 08:23 PM
ive already powerwashed them, i just ran out of magic clean erasers! i just remembered last time i cleaned my boots and didnt have armor all all purpose, i used armor all window wipes and they worked great except for the scuffs

KXRida
09-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Magic eraser, wd-40, and a good general cleaner. After a while the scuffs will tend to wear into the leather. Once they reach that point there's not much you can do about that.

Worked well on my tech 10's when I sold them

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z152/Rmrider125/030-2.jpg

HondaRacing83
09-19-2011, 01:56 PM
the scuffs arent in the leather, theres just caked on mud idk how to get off, i worked at them last night, nothing wants to take them damn scuffs off, i figured out if i take wd 40 soaked steel wool and work out it really hard that clears it up, its gonna take forever though.

KXRida
09-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
the scuffs arent in the leather, theres just caked on mud idk how to get off, i worked at them last night, nothing wants to take them damn scuffs off, i figured out if i take wd 40 soaked steel wool and work out it really hard that clears it up, its gonna take forever though.

Be careful with steel wool. You'll eat the leather down real quick. Keep in mind these are riding boots, not something you wear out hookin' on the corner. Scuffs on the toes are expected.

HondaRacing83
09-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Be careful with steel wool. You'll eat the leather down real quick. Keep in mind these are riding boots, not something you wear out hookin' on the corner. Scuffs on the toes are expected. These are scuffs on the side of the boot, its not the leather im using the steel wool on, i havnt touched the leather, idk how to clean that! the leather is just a calf guard

NacsMXer
09-19-2011, 07:00 PM
These are scuffs on the side of the boot, its not the leather im using the steel wool on, i havnt touched the leather, idk how to clean that! the leather is just a calf guard

Magic eraser! I use it wet, soaked in a soapy solution of water/detergent, with the boots pre-sprayed with stain remover....and scrub the chit outta them lol.

I get those same stains on the insides of my white Tech 8's from the shifter/cases. They come extremely clean every time using this method. Of course I stay on top of the cleaning and clean them the same way each time after I ride. If the scuffs are old and set in they are going to be more stubborn for sure.

HondaRacing83
09-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Magic eraser! I use it wet, soaked in a soapy solution of water/detergent, with the boots pre-sprayed with stain remover....and scrub the chit outta them lol.

I get those same stains on the insides of my white Tech 8's from the shifter/cases. They come extremely clean every time using this method. Of course I stay on top of the cleaning and clean them the same way each time after I ride. If the scuffs are old and set in they are going to be more stubborn for sure. i last cleaned them like the beginning of summer, i dont have a magic eraser! im looking to sell this week

TheLane
09-21-2011, 11:06 AM
i last cleaned them like the beginning of summer, i dont have a magic eraser! im looking to sell this week

well go buy a damn magic eraser then...?:confused:

HondaRacing83
09-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
well go buy a damn magic eraser then...?:confused: what if i dont have time to run to the store....?

400exrip
09-21-2011, 05:27 PM
I use LA'S TOTALLY AWESOME spray on scrub it in with a toothbrush and then wipe clean. that magic eraser can work wonders too.