PDA

View Full Version : to solve my intake issues...

05DodgeDakota
09-16-2011, 10:23 AM
So I'm about to do an engine tear down and rebuild, but before I start that I wanted to fix the issues that lead to this. I have the stock replacement K&N filter, which is held in the intake tube by just a plastic piece molded into the airbox. Well that plastic piece was cutting into the prefilter on the K&N so I trimmed it down some, which in turn made the filter keep falling off. I had also been running without an airbox lid, allowing water and mud into the airbox. This has led to the premature wearing of my rings and seals, hence the reason for the rebuild. Some people said I should switch to a UNI but I never have liked foam airfilters. So I ordered the Pro Design Clamp-on style filter system with K&N and outerwear. I also bought the K&N airbox lid, which should end up double filtering my air without any loss of power compared to a foam filter with a closed airbox. And for good measure I also ordered a Pro Design Crankcase Guard and a Pro Design Teather kill switch, both of which I have needed since I bought the quad a year ago. Let the Build begin!

dxcody
09-16-2011, 02:30 PM
right on,
to keep yourself motivated, i watched an episode of american chopper before i went out to the garage everyday

LOL! its works!

Keep everyone posted!

CJM
09-16-2011, 07:08 PM
You do realize that any of the extra air your KN would draw in is totally negated by the prefilters right?

TORO1968
09-16-2011, 07:17 PM
The stock replacement K&N should be held in place with a worm clamp, just like the stock foam filter. If you weren't running a clamp, I'm thinking this was the cause of your filter fitment issues.

The plastic tabs molded into the airbox are only there to support the filter. I've also had wear issues on my pre-filter because of these, but I figure at ~$10, I can replace it every once in a while.

Good luck with your build! :)

01boneless
09-16-2011, 07:26 PM
yeah those tabs will rip you filters sometimes i just reached it there with plyers and twisted off :devil:

05DodgeDakota
09-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by CJM
You do realize that any of the extra air your KN would draw in is totally negated by the prefilters right?

This time around I want to focus on longetivity vs. power

05DodgeDakota
09-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by TORO1968
The stock replacement K&N should be held in place with a worm clamp, just like the stock foam filter. If you weren't running a clamp, I'm thinking this was the cause of your filter fitment issues.

The plastic tabs molded into the airbox are only there to support the filter. I've also had wear issues on my pre-filter because of these, but I figure at ~$10, I can replace it every once in a while.

Good luck with your build! :)

Mine didn;t come with one. It is just a metal filter body that slides inside of the intake tube

crownandmonster
09-17-2011, 02:18 PM
My K&N came with the worm drive clamp, and the filter slides over the intake tube. They claim that the prefilter doesn't restrict enough air to make a difference. How much truth there is to that, I do not know. Also to solve your ripping prefilter issues, Just wrap a zip-tie around the filter right where it sits on the plastic tab. It will stop it from tearing up the pre filter and when it finally wears through the zip-tie it will fall off and you will know its time to put a new one on.

05DodgeDakota
09-17-2011, 02:56 PM
like I sadi, mine did not have a pipe clamp and it goes inside the intake tube, not around it. I have it secured in there with a self-tapping screw for now. I'll have to take a pic of it

TORO1968
09-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Mine goes inside the intake tube as well. The clamp goes on the outside of the intake tube, squeezing it onto the metal tube of the K&N filter. Without this clamp, there's no way you'll have an effective seal between the filter and the intake tube.

Good tip, crownandmonster! I'm gonna go do that right now! :)