PDA

View Full Version : honda 400ex idling problem and with jets

codyslombo
09-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Hi I have a 2000 honda 400ex with a stock top end rebuild. it has a K&N air filter and the stock pipe is empty nothing inside. Now i have a problem, the bike doesnt idle right at all. it stumbles, sputters and then just dies at a idle. but when you rev it up it runs fine with nothing wrong, does anyone have any ideas. and i think a new jet kit will help, its already been jeted but new ones cant hurt. wht kind of jets should i use to go with the muffler and air filter.
Thanks Cody

Stickman400
09-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Buy your jets here: http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_atv/honda_400_TRX400EX_1999-2008.htm
But I would say that you need to fiddle with the A/F mixture screw abit. But taking your carb. apart and cleaning it out won't hurt anything.

01boneless
09-15-2011, 07:38 PM
may need rejetted but that gutted stock pipe isnt helping anything ? also clean out the carb :ermm:

CJM
09-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Why is the pipe gutted, your not helping anything by doing that-repack it.

As for jets, buyt hem fromt he site suggested above and buy yourself a 150 main and 42 pilot along with adjusting the air/fuel screw to about 2.5 turns from bottomed.

Id also make sure you do anythi9ng else to clean the carb out and make sure the jets are clean. They dont wear out, they just get dirty. Also adjust your idle screw, might be out of adjustment.

codyslombo
09-15-2011, 07:55 PM
well i bought the bike with the pipe like that so i cant do that much, and il try all that. wht about the lean and rich clip thing, ive never touched that should i?