PDA

View Full Version : upper control mod question

gutlassracing
09-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I am thinking of cutting off the upper ball joints off a stock set of control arms and putting adjustable heims in the ends for a ball joint . The bein would sit on top of the spindle with a bolt through the bein and into the spindle. I was thinking of doing this, one to have adjustable uppers and two to have a tight front end again ! Any help or thoughts

CJM
09-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Anything can be made to work, but honestly I doubt this idea is really worth it. You can get a set of upper arms only for about 300 bucks.

dxcody
09-15-2011, 01:32 PM
what CJM said,

For like $400 you can get full flights (not just saying that because i have them) and they come with a lifetime warrenty.

Scro
09-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Not sure why you would want to replace balljoints with heim. They will wear out much quicker if you ride any kind of mud. I've seen several people cut the stock balljoints off, drill the hole a little bigger, and install a balljoint/nuts from an aftermarket setup. This will allow you to adjust the camber.

400exrider707
09-16-2011, 09:53 AM
A few points of interest to add...

You couldn't pay me to run full flights, they are one of the worst designed arms on the market IMO. I only say in my opinion, because there may be worse out there, but I haven't run into them yet. Unless their design has DRASTICALLY changed in the last few years, they were nothing short of terrible.

The Z400 guys used to do this all the time. I saw a few jobs done on them like you're mentioning. I saw quite a few problems with it. The tubing used that holds the balljoint to the spindle didn't have a concentric ID compared to the OD. What this meant was the new replacable balljoint got installed, but it threw the castor off from one side to the other. It's not adjustable either, so they were taking a properly set up suspension system (for stock) and making it worse, but hey you can replace balljoints so that's good right? Whatever.