PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 250 clutch

jkosakowski
09-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Ok so my cousin has a raptor 250 and his clutch is smoked after every race hes put 4 new clutches in in 4 weeks the mechanic said the last time that the clutch was bone dry and it actualy smelt burnt. The motor reads full of oil. ANY Sugestions on what this may be????

mxdad423
09-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Check the clutch basket and pressure plate, another guy was having this same problem, after replacing the basket and pressure plate the problem went away. The baskets get grooves in them where the plates slide in, this causes the plates to stick, wich burns up the fibers. What oil is he running?

jkosakowski
09-17-2011, 07:13 AM
He is running yamalube 10-30

leager-n-ky
09-17-2011, 03:54 PM
there is an adjuster on the pressure plate, i would have to look at the manual to remember how it is suppose to be set, but i burnt my sons first clutch up, by not setting that correctly.

mxdad423
09-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Yamalube is ok oil, but the best is to run Valvoline 4T stroke 20W 50, Valvoline is the only oil that I found that still has 800ppm of zinc in it, VERY IMPORTANT, not saying thats whats burning the clutches up, but it is the way to go..... Check out the basket really well in between each slot that the plates slide into, if there is any ware at all, that is more than likely your problem. Hope that helps you out.

Kevin Smitley

hwf-racing
09-24-2011, 09:12 AM
X2, your basket and pressure plate takes all that heat that burnt your clutches, warpage come into play also!!!!Derek

Hetrick300
12-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Try running desiel truck oil no joke works great!

Ryko racing
02-15-2012, 02:16 PM
We burnt the clutch plates right through the inner hub. i ran 20 w 50 non syn motul. stock motor so he rides it wide open all the time but he only made 1 lap at the iron man gncc.

its funny on our 300 x race quad te motul is the only oil i can use that keeps the clutches fresh.

i cant believe it was the oil. the basket looks good but the hub and pressure plate are burnt black....

any advise?????

jweidner
02-16-2012, 12:50 PM
CHECK CLUTCH SPRINGS AND MAKE SURE PRESSURE DID NOT DECREASE, IF THEY ARE OLD AND HAVE GOTTEN HOT, THEY WILL LOSE PRESSURE.

ALSO, AFTER YOU REPLACE A CLUTCH RIDE IT AROUND FOR A LITTLE BIT AND BREAK IT IN... DON'T JUST THROUGH IT IN AND GO BEAT ON IT. PLATES AND FIBERS HAVE VERY MINIMAL HIGH SPOTS AND THESE NEED TO BE WORN OFF SO YOU ARE CONTACTING THE COMPLETE FIBER OR PLATE.

OWNER MANUAL WILL TELL YOU HOW TO SET UP CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT.. NOT HARD, JUST DON'T REMEBER.

ANY OIL YOU RUN WILL NOT BREAK DOWN THAT FAST AND CAUSE THE CLUTCH TO GO BAD..HAS TO BE A MECHANIC ISSUE

CERTAIN SYNTHETIC OILS MAY NOT WORK WITH YOUR APPLICATION ALSO

THANKS,

jweidner
02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
SORRY,, WANTED TO SAY MECHANICAL ISSUE:)

Ryko racing
02-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks. i just recieved a new pressure plate and hub and springs.

im going to put it together this weekend.

it is our play quad but he puts a lot of laps on it for conditioning. he actually is too big for it.

we are going to run it in the GNCC stk schoolboy class a few times but i need to get the clutches to make more than 1 lap.

he rides it really really hard but i though that it being bone stock it should hold up.

jweidner
02-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Hey Ryko racing,

Make sure you soak fibers in oil over night before you install them, give them time to absorb oil. You can hook everything up with out installing the crank case cover to ensure everything is operating fine.

Ride it around for about an hour before beating on it. Give time for everything to seat properly.

Thanks,
Jason

Ryko racing
02-16-2012, 04:18 PM
will do. thanks

where does the little ball bearing go ?

jweidner
02-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Ball goes between pushrod 1 (short ) that attaches to pressure plate and pushrod 2 (long) that is in the main drive assembly.

Ryko racing
02-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks i saw it fall out.

jweidner
09-17-2012, 05:30 AM
Hey Guys,

Wanted to get feedback as to the best clutch in your own opinion for a raptor 250. Not everyday riding, but mx or xc.

Thanks,

Ryko racing
09-17-2012, 07:50 AM
From what i have found it is aweak link. There seems to be no upgrade available from the a market gurus. Maybe call Rage as they do the big mods on these.