PDA

View Full Version : 400ex rear brake problem

jdm400ex
09-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Hey all! I'm new to this so bare with me. I have an 07 400ex. i realized my brake pads were real worn down (just about metal to metal), so i ordered some new pads. I took the caliper off, took out the old pads and tried to compress the piston with a c- clamp. This didnt work so i removed the parking brake assembly and , I don't know if it just released pressure or what but it let me compress the piston. So i re-installed it and put the new pads in. The problem is my brake pedal goes all the way down no pressure and back up. It's like there's no pressure in the system at all. I tried back filling the caliper but I;m afraid I pumped air back into the caliper causing a cushion on the piston. How do i completely start over and get my brakes to have pressure on them again. I'm trying to go to Slades in Surry, VA on Saturday so if you know how to help plllleeeeeaaaaaasssssseeeeee do.

Thanks
Justin

CJM
09-14-2011, 08:09 AM
First, please post in the 400ex section next time.

Second, push the foot pedal over and over about 10-15x and open the bleeder screw on the caliper. Do this about 5-8x and you should get pressure back. You need to bleed the brakes. There is a chance you blew the seal as you now compressed the piston against nothing with the parking brake off-but I doubt it. Worst case you go on ebay and buy a whole new caliper or rebuild yours. Ive also not run a rear caliper at all before, hardly use the worthless thing.

Alternatively I prefer to use a brake pump (such as made by mitey vac) and pump it up then release the bleeder valve.

On a side note, buy a parking brake block off and remove the worthless parking brake. It just wears out the pads, you want to make the quad not move lock it in gear.