PDA

View Full Version : crack in case right in front of my front sprocket, JB WELD and itll be good?

seanmccullough4
09-13-2011, 03:03 PM
alright my chain broke and now i got a little crack right in front of my sprocket on my case, can i just jb weld it up and itll be good? ive done it with warriors and my scrambler in the past but i was just wondering if anyones done it before with their 400ex and itll be all good?

CJM
09-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Should work, but it all depends on how it cracked-it may or may not last. If it were me Id get a new case or take it to be welded properly.

The reason it broke was your chain was worn out, these are things you need to pay attention to and keep up before it happens again.

01boneless
09-13-2011, 06:28 PM
this is the reason i run a case saver and a chain guard lol but ya a pic or vid would be great of the crack?

dxcody
09-13-2011, 06:37 PM
JB weld is basically a temp. fix

Replace the case, and BUY A CASE SAVER

$13 case saver vs $139 left case cover.

seanmccullough4
09-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
JB weld is basically a temp. fix

Replace the case, and BUY A CASE SAVER

$13 case saver vs $139 left case cover.

well thing is we dont have much money, its just me and my mom and little brother so i cant get a new case, just lookin for somethin else thatll work, ppl have told me that it will work just like new

dxcody
09-13-2011, 09:43 PM
you can JB weld it, not saying it wont hold, but 4sure not saying it will hold either.

About like how some people ask if they have overheating problems with a 440, some may not ever have any problems, others will have nothing but problems.

Do it the correct way, make sure its good and strong and you may not ever have any trouble with it.

Like boneless said tho, a pic or vid of the crack would be amazing, because its hard to say how bad the crack is.

gutlassracing
09-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Mine is jb welded and ha ent had a problem yet . I bought the quad that way and once I got it home I sanded the spot down smooth and re coated it with some more jb and haven't had a problem yet . Now when I got to pull that cover I see me a little problem on my hands !

DirtyBirdRacing
09-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Have you tryed looking on Ebay for a used case cover for cheap?

Ba9801
09-14-2011, 08:37 PM
It probably wont cost that much to have someone weld it, I have welded many cases before and many can even be done without taking the case apart.

Honda East Toledo
09-16-2011, 08:24 AM
We have the left case half for the TRX400EX NEW for $247 if you end up needing a new one 419-891-1230 Ext36

dxcody
09-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Honda East Toledo
We have the left case half for the TRX400EX NEW for $247 if you end up needing a new one 419-891-1230 Ext36

I always thought if you had to replace the actual cases you had to replace both of them.. The local atv shop told me you cant buy just one half of a case?

Not trying to call you out by any means i am just wondering if that it true or not, that you cant buy just one side of the case.

Ba9801
09-16-2011, 10:13 AM
You can replace a single case half without any problems. I have changed them in the past on many types of quads. There should not be any issues in doing this at all. You only need to replace the damaged pieces. That would be ridiculous to have to replace a case half that is still good.

Honda East Toledo
09-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
I always thought if you had to replace the actual cases you had to replace both of them.. The local atv shop told me you cant buy just one half of a case?

Not trying to call you out by any means i am just wondering if that it true or not, that you cant buy just one side of the case.

That is FALSE.... Yamaha does typically sell cases together and cannot just buy one half. Yamaha does this because the cases are cut together and matched they say. This is why they do not use Center case gaskets.

Honda is the opposite in most cases. Honda cases use center gaskets, Yamaha doesn't usually on their sport atv's

dxcody
09-16-2011, 09:57 PM
ohhhhhh alright he did tell me that when i had my yfz450

ok cleared up now! lol thanks :D