PDA

View Full Version : Time for new crank bearings?

Pacheco_450r
09-12-2011, 08:41 PM
I checked my oil filter while changing my oil yesterday and found some shavings... my bike is an 05 with a ton of hours, I feel like if it was one of the ones that had the bad bearings it would have gone by now right? Only thing that has ever been done to the motor was a new top end a year and a half ago.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2h7f29v.jpg

chronicsmoke
09-13-2011, 06:22 AM
They don't look like copper shavings in the picture. That is usually the tell tale sign that your crank is done. They look like shavings from a new piston seating the rings to me.

How many times have you changed the oil since your last top end rebuild?

Ruf Racing
09-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Put a magnet on them. See what material you are dealing with. It doesn't appear to be catastrophic, yet. Keep a close eye on the oil changes. :ermm:

Pacheco_450r
09-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Yea they look like aluminum, that's what it looked like when I first got my new top end but it shouldn't be from that over a year later. I cleaned the filter out really good so I'll keep an eye on it and see if more show up.

Pacheco_450r
09-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
They don't look like copper shavings in the picture. That is usually the tell tale sign that your crank is done. They look like shavings from a new piston seating the rings to me.

How many times have you changed the oil since your last top end rebuild?

I've changed my oil about 10 times since my new top end of those ten I cleaned/changed the oil filter about 5 or 6 times.

2001400exrida
09-21-2011, 07:46 AM
i would get in there and take a look. if you've already got that much ride time on it and it's just now showing metal, the chances are good that something is rubbing. alot of times if the cam chain gets loose it will slap around and cause some grindage.

Pacheco_450r
09-21-2011, 09:00 AM
I had a new cam chain put in with the top end rebuild a year and a half ago. For an update I put in three hard motos last weekend and checked the oil filter and there were no shavings. I'm going to keep an eye on it and if any show up again I'll open it up and check it out.