PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from Ironhead Harley guys

nemo25
09-12-2011, 07:17 PM
I have noticed many members on this site have valuable knowledge when it comes to certain subjects. Here is my dilemma and I hope you guys could help me out. I bought an R6 Yamaha thinking that is the bike for me. I rode it for a month only to realize I'm not much of a street bike guy. I've always dreamed about a kick start Harley. Well long story short I found the perfect deal. It's a 1973 Sporster Ironhead kick start and right side shift. It's in good condition but needs normal tlc as you would expect from any old bike. I've been reading up on the bikes and many people say Harley in the 70's produced some crappy bikes when it comes to reliability. I'm not looking to do a whole bike teardown and building it. I want something I can cruise around on and feel safe taking it on long rides. Any feedback on the reliability and maintance of these bikes? Thanks

deathman53
09-13-2011, 03:38 AM
I have a 78 harley sportster e-start, its a great bike and hardly needs any work. Mine is in very very good condition and really low lours. Plan on rebuilding the carb(or replacing it) and using ethonal stuff and lead additiive in the fuel. Mine calls for leaded fuel.

jake55
09-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Back in that era Harley Davidson was bought out by amf. they still used the harley name but the bikes were not of good quality. all the jokes about the harleys leaking oil all the time came from that era. keep in mind that amf was the same company that made the Pacer and the Gremlin. these are two of the ugliest and junkiest cars ever produced!! plan on wrenching more than riding!

CJM
09-13-2011, 07:40 AM
AMC made the pacer/gremlin, not AMF. AMF never made cars.

YOURADHERE
09-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Just depends on what you want to do with the bike and how indepth you're willing to go. From what I gather Ironheads can be made reliable but they just take a little work. Are you deadset on an Ironhead? Absolutely HAVE to have a kicker? If not look into a newer Evo Sportster. Not sure if you know but a company(LedSled Customs) just released a kicker kit for the Evo Sportster motors(Excluding rubbermount and EFI motors I believe).

With that said Im not sure I'd want an Ironhead as a daily rider but I do want to add an Ironhead or a Shovelhead to the collection soon.

Originally posted by CJM

Correct....but they did make bowling balls.

:D

jake55
09-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by CJM

you are correct, but i do believe it is the same parent company.

CJM
09-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by jake55
you are correct, but i do believe it is the same parent company.

No, its not.

AMC was bought by Chrysler in the late 80's and was NEVER part of AMF or vice versa.

Now, can we get back to the thread.

And for the record-I would NEVER own a harley of that era-they just aint made that good. Even modern ones I feel are a disappointment compared to a honda.

HondaPohl
09-13-2011, 12:26 PM
They are not the same company. What cc is the bike. First thing to go should be the generator. Go with an updated charging system. Maybe even get rid of the points ignition and go with electronic. Those old iron heads rip when tuned right. If you want to put some money into, go with an S&S super B carb. It might take a while to get the jetting right but its worth it.

selbygirl
09-13-2011, 03:47 PM
i wouldnt buy a sportser iron head 1000 cc in abought a month of rideing one . you'd wish you bought a bigger bike . somthing with a shovel head or pan head or a evo . and sportster are hard to get rid of,, plus i would stay away from amf stuff .they made good bowling pins

deathman53
09-13-2011, 05:47 PM
the generator on mine is going, I removed to be rebuilt. No problems with the points system, I will be replacing it with electronic system. The biggest things you will dislike is the 4 speed tranny and the drum brakes. Mine has a drum rear and dual disc front. I didn't like the small gas tank in it(2.0 gallons), I bought another one to replace it. Stay far away from a 1979 sportster, they had alot of problems. I love mine, but if I thought about it longer, I would have gotten a bigger motor and bigger bike. Its a nice starter bike and fun to ride, none the less.

250rsforlife
09-13-2011, 08:01 PM
my dad loves harleys but hes says they arent good for cruising he says if you would like to just cruise get a heritage classic electra or somethin along that lines but the old sportsters are nice bike cuz hes got a 79 and hasnt had any problems with it

sly400ex
09-14-2011, 04:58 AM
Awesome to see some other classice iron enthusists on here!

Check out this website, anything you need to know is out here.....these guys are Drs. when it comes to iron/ shovelhead engines

http://shovelhead.us/forum/

lem dad
09-14-2011, 07:27 AM
These are great bikes just sometimes needa little TLC I have had a couple over the years may still have a few parts left over I now
have a 81 low rider These bikes come from a time bikers rode Harleys not wanta bees

sly400ex
09-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by lem dad
These are great bikes just sometimes needa little TLC I have had a couple over the years may still have a few parts left over I now
have a 81 low rider These bikes come from a time bikers rode Harleys not wanta bees

Well said lem...I have a low rider also. Here's my scoot.

YOURADHERE
09-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Well said lem...I have a low rider also. Here's my scoot.

Drool.....beautiful bike.

Thumpin440ex
09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
I am kinda with the other guys that have noted AMF was the producer of the harleys in that time.. Some people have had no issues with bikes of that era, some have nothing but trouble.. I would look into a bike of the later 80's.. A ton of older bikes shovels/pans/knuckle heads will leak oil.. That was a harley thing.. They are loud, vibrate like hell, unless you have a built/balanced engine.. Other then that HD is a nice bike, just sucks that most are far far over price, considering what you can build a custom bike for yourself..

Here is a custom rigid, my dad built back in the late 80's.. This pic is from a few years back, but it still looks the same... It is a BUILT shovel, 11.5-1 arias pistons, drag set up dual mag, custom pool aluminum jugs, 2 plug heads

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/IMG_0233-1.jpg

John

sly400ex
09-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
I am kinda with the other guys that have noted AMF was the producer of the harleys in that time.. Some people have had no issues with bikes of that era, some have nothing but trouble.. I would look into a bike of the later 80's.. A ton of older bikes shovels/pans/knuckle heads will leak oil.. That was a harley thing.. They are loud, vibrate like hell, unless you have a built/balanced engine.. Other then that HD is a nice bike, just sucks that most are far far over price, considering what you can build a custom bike for yourself..

Here is a custom rigid, my dad built back in the late 80's.. This pic is from a few years back, but it still looks the same... It is a BUILT shovel, 11.5-1 arias pistons, drag set up dual mag, custom pool aluminum jugs, 2 plug heads

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/IMG_0233-1.jpg

Very nice shovel! I think my bike may go under the knife this winter, I'm wanting to go a little more retro look.
John

HondaPohl
09-14-2011, 12:45 PM
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i470/Bansheeterror/bikeride001.jpg

MY dads sporty and my softail.

nemo25
09-14-2011, 02:33 PM
After all this feedback I think I might delay my purcahse. I might save up a bit more and buy a newer bike.

sly400ex
09-14-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm not going to sugar coat it, buying an older bike that will demand more patience and wrenching than a newer bike, but if you have a bikers soul, it will in turn reward you. That's my take on it.

HondaPohl
09-14-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm not going to sugar coat it, buying an older bike that will demand more patience and wrenching than a newer bike, but if you have a bikers soul, it will in turn reward you. That's my take on it.

SLy is absolutly right. The old bikes require lots of attention but once you can work on them and get the feel, every bike after is pretty easy. Thats how I started. Working on old shovels and pans and Irons heads. Now I have an 08 and just have to program the power commander for changes. The price of Sportster has come down big time. You can make a bad *** sportster with that old bike tho. Go with a rigid conversion or slam it with some 12" shocks. I'd do it. Or shell out 15+ for a newer big twin.

lem dad
09-14-2011, 08:56 PM

How True And I would not have it any other way The old Harleys
have a heart and soul you cannot get in the new bikes