PDA

View Full Version : decompressor

tripicana
09-11-2011, 09:50 PM
i have a 2000 400ex that i rebuilt the top end. it had a hotcam in it and the decompressor was removed. when i rebuilt the motor i went with a lower compression piston, weisco 11:1 vs a JE 14:1.

i want to put the stock cam shaft back in it. i have a cam, but i think i'm missing a couple peices.

i dont have, the spring and plunger that goes under the cam

question; does the spring and plunger affect the operation of the decompressor? anyone have a spring and plunger?

when i had it apart, it didn't look like it affects anything without the decompressor installed.

i'm thinking ill either have to order the spring and plunger, or just press the decompressor off.

anyone who has removed their decompressor have the extra parts?

NacsMXer
09-12-2011, 03:50 AM
Welcome to the site :macho

If you run the stock cam with the decompressor assembly installed on it WITHOUT the spring or plunger in the head, the quad will not start.

The spring and plunger can be had at a dealer on the cheap if you want to go that route.

But you can also run the stock cam without the spring and plunger only if you press the entire decompressor assembly off the cam. You press the sprocket flange off, the whole decomp assembly slides right off, and then press the flange back on (only goes back on one way). If you choose to go this route you will have to weld shut the exposed oil holes that normally sit under the decompressor on the cam. This is to keep the oil pressure up to the other oil holes on the cam lobes/journals. I had my oiling holes TIG welded shut when I removed the decomp assembly from my Honda HRC cam.
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu289/nacsmxer/Rebuild/DSC_0670.jpg