PDA

View Full Version : Track advise

bencasey217
09-11-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm going to start getting into track riding like racing. And well I just wondering how bad I will get beat up riding a stock 400ex exhaust for a exhaust and nerf bars. And what gear I should hit gears? I was thinking like 4th? And if anyone know any tracks near Springfield Missouri that are ATV tracks. Thanks!

01boneless
09-11-2011, 07:45 PM
uhh id love to help but your gonna have to edit you post a little?

Honda.rider5871
09-11-2011, 07:47 PM
^^X2

chronicsmoke
09-12-2011, 05:59 AM
depends on what kind of riding/racing your doing.

MX or XC your stock suspension will beat you up and tire you out pretty fast.

For whichever type of racing, I'd practice on the stock machine you have and go out for a couple of sessions. That way you can see if that type of riding/racing suits you before you spend $$ on suspension and other mods.

A stock 400 wont do very well against modded 450's, they have the suspension and power advantage.

dxcody
09-12-2011, 11:55 AM
track riding, im guessing that means MX??

Then what i made out of your 2nd sentance is that you have a stock 400ex except for exhaust and nerfs?

Then what gear should you hit jumps??

1st just as chronic said, you are going to take a beating on stock 400ex shox no matter what racing you do..

2nd, no one can tell you what gear to hit jumps in.. If its a 60 ft table top.. yea i would hit it in high 3rd low 4th..

If its a 20 ft double, no dont hit it in 4th gear.. you will launch about 45 ft over the landing jump.. EVERY JUMP IS DIFFERENT

No one can tell you what gear to hit jumps in, because i have never hit 2 jumps that were the exact same.

Lets say you have a 35 ft double in front of you, find a tabletop that bigger than the double (if availible) and hit it in 2nd, then 3rd, and so on until you think you have enough jump clearnce to hit the double.

That how i did it.. On tripples, start out by doubling it, then try and figure out (YES THAT MEANS USE YOUR CRANIUM) how fast you need to be going to tripple it.

LOL im not 100% sure that i understand you post so i just guessed at what you were trying to say.

But you also said you were going to GET INTO riding on a track.. You may not like MX as much as you think you will, so you better get some time in on a MX track before you go hopping right into a race.

Stickman400
09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
I'd say make sure your gearing and tire size is right for doing MX. By that I mean make sure it's geared kinda low and have 20s or 18s on the rear. Next would be get a steering stabilizer to help with arm pump(I hate MX because I can't use my hands after 5 laps) and try to upgrade your shocks or do something with them because they will limit you more than your motor will.