PDA

View Full Version : Beginner DSLR camera

Kickstarts-suck
09-11-2011, 05:59 PM
My mom is looking for some something better than her cybershot 14.1 digital camera. Any help on a first or beginner DSLR camera? I dont know much at all about cameras. But I know there are a few on here that do. Anything under $500??

I know one thing I hate about digital camera is the slow shutter speed.

Thanks.

NacsMXer
09-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Nikon D60 or newer D3000. Both can be had in the $450 range depending on where you buy. I like my D60 a lot, it's an "amateur-ish" DSLR by pro standards, but does a fine job for what I do with it. Definitely a good cam for a beginner. A D40 can be had for even cheaper, pretty much the same camera just a couple less MP's and features.

I'm sure Pappy could offer some better suggestions though. I don't keep up with the Canon's so don't have any suggestions there.

Pappy
09-12-2011, 03:17 AM
Depends on 2 things really

1, what is her main focus as far as subject matter. Most digital slr's are capable of pulling great images, where they suffer is low light, high iso, focus tracking and shutter delay.

2, Budget. You do get what you pay for with camera gear. There is a reason our gear (pro's) cost so much and thats because we have to have gear built for abuse and use.....and they just happen to address 99.5% of everything in the above mentioned reply.

I really dont follow much of the lower end cameras, but I always get handed someones new dslr at an event to "try". Its always slow focusing, too small and such but i reckon it makes someone feel justified if I nod after snapping a few pics with it and hand it back LOL.

Basic photography knowledge will go along way in making the consumer targeted camera body's preform as long as you accept the fact it isnt a pro level unit and will not work as well in certain situations.