PDA

View Full Version : cannondale cannibal ball joints?

7.5L_STX
09-11-2011, 05:42 PM
so my stuff just got sent out to be powdercoated (ran into some extra $$) my 400 has a cannondale 440 front end, so i started to press all the ball joints out and 2 of them grenaded on me :mad: so i sent them to the powdercoaters thinkin nothing of it. now im gettin all the stuff back next week and i can find cannondale parts ANYWHERE!! i need 2 lowers and 2 upp all joints (the other 2 that didnt grenade are worn out)

some help or a link(NOT ATK, there parts catalog doesnt list the ones i have) would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance for any help guys!

7.5L_STX
09-11-2011, 08:56 PM
bump?

if i cant get an answer im gonna call the powdercoater tomorrow and hopefully he hasnt gotten to em yet and ill just buy some +2s.

ive been searchin for hours on the net. cant find anything.

01boneless
09-11-2011, 09:05 PM
wow those are hard to find i jsut looked for a while myself and nothng.

not to hijack but are the cannondale 440 a arms wider than stock ex arms?

7.5L_STX
09-11-2011, 09:07 PM
theyre about a half inch wider on each side so +1 altogether. this is such a major PITA.

01boneless
09-11-2011, 09:11 PM
ya i bet cannondales never were to hot so parts are rare ill keep looking though

7.5L_STX
09-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
ya i bet cannondales never were to hot so parts are rare ill keep looking though

thanks man!

CJM
09-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I looked too, I didnt find jack. Maybe the cannondale guys can help ya? Try making a thread in that subforum?

powerbomb400
09-12-2011, 06:11 AM
Check with a Industrial Suppy. They might be able to get the ball joints for you. There are all kind of parts that is used in industry. That's were I got the bearings for my Elka's. I needed a set and was leaving next day to go to WV. Called Elka but couldn't get them quick enough. Once I knew the size called a Industial Supply and he ahd them in stock.

dustin_j
09-12-2011, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless

False, they were fast and had more technology than any of the quads out today. However, they weren't made reliable until after the company went under.

Like mentioned above, check at an industrial supply store. Otherwise, go to cannondale riders dot com and look up caniboomer. He's basically the go-to guy for cannondale parts.

powerbomb400
09-12-2011, 07:36 AM
As a matter of fact they spent so much on R&D that wasn't able to get their investment back thru sales.

CJM
09-12-2011, 07:37 AM
They were quite ahead of thier time, shame they went under. Seen quite a few for sale over the years-but the problem is parts so I wouldnt dare dream of owning one.

I know someone who races them, whent hey heard they were going under they bought 3 complete quads so they had parts!

powerbomb400
09-12-2011, 08:11 AM
I had a freind that had the 440 dirtbike. Nobody at that time had EFI. Let's see that was in 03 or 04 if I remember right.

7.5L_STX
09-12-2011, 02:11 PM
so i got some awesome yet hilarious/wierd info. ball joints from a ford pinto or pontiac grand prix are supposed to fit.

when i get my arms back im gonna head to carquest and ill report back with my findings.

jesshamner
09-12-2011, 02:35 PM
If I were you, I would just get another 400ex front end. But if you need parts you should contact Dave Mueller (Canniboomer) on cannondaleriders.com. The ironic thing about your situation is that the cdale community has been adapting the front end to accept honda style ball joints. LOL.

powerbomb400
09-12-2011, 02:38 PM
I can see that being like that. Unless its a part made by a certain company then alot times there is a another application somewhere with all the machines made in the world. You just have to find it. I needed bearings one time for a rear axle. Went to the industrial supply the clerk at the desk measured it and went and got it off the shelf. Its a standard metric bearing with certain ID and certain OD. Glad you were able to find a solution to your problem.

HondaPohl
09-12-2011, 02:52 PM
I always try and cross reference part numbers at NAPA or other part stores. Sometimes you can find bearings, ball joints and other misc parts alot cheaper. SOMETIMES.

witech
09-12-2011, 04:19 PM
When pressing out ball joints out of the arms you press on the ball joint outer cup not the center shaft or the middle of the cap. Or you will destroy the joint.
There is no auto parts replacement joint so you can also quit looking.
If you google cannondale atv parts Blackwidow atv comes up .He has them in stock and ready to ship pretty cheap .

grassman
09-12-2011, 05:35 PM
You could try contacting Nac's racing... They raced cannondales back in the day... they might have parts laying around, or some info for you.

jesshamner
09-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Guys we have a lot of this stuff figured out already. Just go over to cannondaleriders.com and ask or search. The guys are great over there and like to help out. They are very knowledgeable. Witech is one of them and he really knows his stuff.

250x_kyle
09-12-2011, 07:31 PM
my buddys girlfirends dad has a cdale at his house if i get a chance some night this week i will run over grab one of the old ones and get a few measurements. im sure i can match it up.

7.5L_STX
09-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by witech
When pressing out ball joints out of the arms you press on the ball joint outer cup not the center shaft or the middle of the cap. Or you will destroy the joint.
There is no auto parts replacement joint so you can also quit looking.
If you google cannondale atv parts Blackwidow atv comes up .He has them in stock and ready to ship pretty cheap .

I knew the proper way, I just failed to do it that way. I was in a rush cause it was 10:30 and the guy at the powder coaters was leaving at 11. And how do you know there's no ball joints that will fit? There's plenty of posts on here saying how parts from other stuff works on quads.

Like I said, I'm gonna go see what I can find and I'll report back. I've heard from multiple people that have owned cannibals that ball joints from certain years of grand prixs and pintos will work.

jesshamner
09-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Cannondale went out of business 8 years ago. There are several people that have spent that time sourcing parts, especially wear items. We are just trying to help you by suggesting the name of 2 suppliers that can get you quality parts that have been tested for the cannondale application. Why would you take something from another application and try to make it work when there is already something proven? We are saving you time and trouble. The original reason there is cdale information on this site is because one of the early, possibly the original owner of exriders was also the owner of cannondaleriders. Cannondaleriders has a wealth of information and the people there are much more knowledgeable of all things cannondale. But some of us hang out here too, like witech and myself. My point is...go to the source...for parts and information. It will save you headaches.

powerbomb400
09-13-2011, 07:42 AM
I agree. If Blackwidow has them stock get them while you can. Let that be plan A. Looked at their website and they are doing close out prices. Which means they won't have them forever. In the mean time start now looking for another source just in case for the future.

jesshamner
09-13-2011, 07:56 AM
I already listed another source. Canniboomer from cannondaleriders.com runs a parts business and has great service and shipping times.

So let the pinto balljoints be plan C.

Claas900
09-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
I already listed another source. Canniboomer from cannondaleriders.com runs a parts business and has great service and shipping times.

So let the pinto balljoints be plan C.
You know what they say you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink. lol, even twice or three times.
Its sad and such a huge misunderstanding, I've had Cdales for 8 years and have never had a hard time getting parts.

witech
09-15-2011, 04:33 AM
Cannondales and false information have gone go hand in hand for the last ten years. Why break tradition? Just enjoy your low cost superquad and enjoy the balony that people make up claiming to be "FACTS" .LOL