PDA

View Full Version : atv training question

deathman53
09-11-2011, 01:57 PM
my girl friend wants to get into riding atv's. Everything I have is too fast for her. Does anybody know of the training that provides an atv to ride? It has to be in NJ, ~50 miles away from englishtown. She wants me to go w/ her, so I will be taking one of my race 250r's or atc200x trike, that should really make the "certified" instructors give me hell and talk down to it or not even know what it is.

CJM
09-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Never heard of such a thing, least in NJ.

I know you can go to certain places such as hatfield mccoy, glamis, perhaps certain tracks and rent one tho.

Personally if she REALLY wants to get into it make her commit to buying a 300ex or something you find on craigslist and teach her yourself.

It may or may not be to easy imho for some people to learn either. Friend of mines sister got into it and still cant use a clutch or shifter properly despite hours and hours of instruction-then again she cant drive a stick shift either haha.

Anyways thats what I would do, buy an older 250 or 300cc quad and let her have at it with you teaching.

Tommy Warren
09-11-2011, 03:14 PM
I've been teaching my girl how to ride on my 660 for over a year now...she loves it but she just can't grasp all of the controls...it makes me soooo frusterated

CJM
09-11-2011, 03:28 PM
^ see, I dont understand why? Its sooo easy imho, but then again I guess not everyone can walk and chew gum at the same time lol...

Scro
09-11-2011, 04:29 PM
The dealerships down here will hold classes every now and then. I'm not sure if they rent atv's to use, or if you have to purchase one from them to take the class. They've always offered the class when I purchased a new quad. I know Honda paid $100 to attend.

DirtyBirdRacing
09-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Couldnt you just adjust the throttle screw so she couldnt give it to much gas and have the thing go flying, and just get her learning how to get it started of, going slow staying in 1st gear and work your way up to her shifting after she can go and stop good?

deathman53
09-11-2011, 06:24 PM
I tried her on my atv, hybrid 250r(crf450r motor) and it has an auto clutch. She touched the throttle, it moved alittle and she was sacred of it. Maybe she twisted the throttle too much and it jumped on her????? I also could put in the throttle screw that came out of a wr450, to slow it down even more. I want to try some kind of slow atv, that I would never want to ride myself, atv training classes would have them.

TheLane
09-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by deathman53
I tried her on my atv, hybrid 250r(crf450r motor) and it has an auto clutch. She touched the throttle, it moved alittle and she was sacred of it. Maybe she twisted the throttle too much and it jumped on her????? I also could put in the throttle screw that came out of a wr450, to slow it down even more. I want to try some kind of slow atv, that I would never want to ride myself, atv training classes would have them.

your using a twist throttle?! no wonder shes scared lol:eek2:

01boneless
09-12-2011, 11:00 AM
X2^^^

woodsman250r
09-12-2011, 12:53 PM
My best advice is to abort trying to teach her, and move on to something that will be more enjoyable for the both of you. It sounds like she is already scared to ride, and will probably have a hard time figuring it out. I had a GF who claimed she wanted to get into riding so I got her a Suzuki Ozark. The first time we went trail riding, I wanted to hang myself. It was the slowest, most painful ride of my life. I would go about 50 yards, wait 5 min, and repeat the entire time. Not to mention at the end she slammed into a tree, and cussed me out like it was my fault. So, the moral of the story is don't teach your GF to ride or you will suffer. Go to the races and find one who already knows to save yourself the headache!!! :devil:

yfm250rider
09-12-2011, 01:49 PM
yea i dont know about class but im selling a raptor 250 which is a good learning bike i would suggest heading to a sand pit and let her pratice and get seat time

Sick0
09-12-2011, 08:49 PM
My girl learn on ktm sx. Had her making some of the jumps.