PDA

View Full Version : Good Editing programs

HondaPohl
09-11-2011, 12:44 PM
You guys who making your own video's and are dubbing in music and putting text on the screen. What program are you using? Any good free ones out there? I'm getting a Gopro and want to start putting some video's together.

Pappy
09-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I ran out and bought some pricey program that was highly recommended by some industry guys....I end up using windows movie maker 99% of the time:p Im sure the other program is better, but for what I use it for the WMM is much easier for me haha!

HondaPohl
09-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks Pap. Have to see if I can get Windows movie maker.

trx310R#24
09-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by HondaPohl
Thanks Pap. Have to see if I can get Windows movie maker.
lol ur computer should come with it :p

Tommy Warren
09-11-2011, 05:25 PM
maybe he has windows 3.1

HondaPohl
09-11-2011, 06:38 PM
I still run in DOS. Actually I have Vista but never even noticed if I had it.

Pappy
09-12-2011, 03:19 AM
It should be on your pc if you have vista, my new (2 year old) pc had it, as well as any pc or laptop ive bought with the usual installed software

XCRacer236
09-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Pappy, you use WMM but you know everything there is to know about Photoshop. lol.

I use Adobe Premier. I like it a lot.

TheLane
09-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I use a few programs (none of which are free)

Sony vegas pro - for actual editing
adobe after effects - for visual effects
intelli studio (for browsing through clips)

With WMM there is only so much you can do and your vids wind up looking like everyone elses.

Pappy
09-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by XCRacer236
Pappy, you use WMM but you know everything there is to know about Photoshop. lol.

I use Adobe Premier. I like it a lot.

I know jack spit about photoshop beyond basic photo editing and adding a border LOL. I wish I did know alot more about it, powerful tool no doubt!

BShipmanFilms
09-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Everyone who has ever wanted to edit footage of their own has expectations on what they can/can't do with editing software for their first "go around". Everyone who wants to do some slowmotion effects and some color correction can do that with windows movie maker. Final Cut and Adobe Premiere are super extensive and they've got the layout pretty intimidating to say the least. Final Cut X is out and supposed to be a lot more user friendly for beginners who want to do some editing.

Blake

sexysilverado45
09-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Currently I'm in a video editing class and adobe suite is the way to go imo because any change you make in one program changes in the other. I've been using traxaxe lately because its free. basically you can teach yourself how to use these programs if your truely intretested in this kind of stuff its after affects and some of the pazaz stuff that gets difficult.

HondaPohl
09-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Thank you all for the info!

lasher45
09-12-2011, 03:16 PM
There are many video editing programs out there. Windows Movie Maker is horrible if you want to make a decent edit.

Actual Video Editing:

Final Cut Pro-Very user friendly, but only for Mac. Has some great options. Has the best color grading out of all the software's.

Adobe Premier-This is what I use, not as user friendly as Final Cut Pro, but a little more options.

Sony Vegas-Have not heard much about it. What I have heard is it is somewhat user friendly, but also does not have as much options as other programs.

Special Effects:

Adobe After Effects. This is what adds in all the special effects once your done editing your video or individual clip.

There is also a software called Avid which is basically Adobe Premier and After Effects combined. This is what "Big name" companies and Professionals usually use. It is the most complicated, but offers loads more than all the others.

XCRacer236
09-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by lasher45

There is also a software called Avid which is basically Adobe Premier and After Effects combined. This is what "Big name" companies and Professionals usually use. It is the most complicated, but offers loads more than all the others.

I used this at school for 4 years in Telecommunications. Sweet program, but I'd choose Adobe Premier.

Ichoptop
09-13-2011, 07:49 AM
the real question is how much do you want to spend.

the more expensive the program the more it does and the longer the learning curve.

Ichoptop
09-13-2011, 07:49 AM

the more expensive the program the more it does and the longer the learning curve.

XCRacer236
09-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Ichoptop

If you know what your doing, or know someone that does... you don't know how to spend a CENT. :devil:

Ichoptop
09-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm not a thief, just a double poster.