PDA

View Full Version : Pegs Nerfs and the 1987 TRX250R

etccb
09-09-2011, 08:33 AM
I was having a very hard time finding what I wanted to put on this build. AC and others no longer make nerfs with pegs for the 86-87. XFR will make them but their pegs are in the stock location. That just won't work on these quads when your 6'3" and have been spoiled by relocated pegs in the past. I read about the Chassis Inc pegs but I needed them to be lower and I still needed some nerfs that would work with them. One thing that helped was being a dune quad I had the option of running nerfs with the forgiving Ubolt style front mounts. I pmed joepa to get some measurements off of his chassis inc pegs to know where to start. Everything counted on those measurements to get as low as I could and he got me some good ones. I found that X-factor had some great deals on nerfs that looked like they would work as well. I called X-factor and with thier great help on some measurements I felt like I had it dialed and called Lew at chassis inc about building some of his pegs for me to my specs. Money orders were sent and I was on my way. After some delays here is a quick mock up of the results. The pegs are 1/2 lower and have 1/4 off of the leading edge from lews first version. The nerfs are for a 250r/400ex/etc.

etccb
09-09-2011, 08:35 AM
As you can see here once I get the correct size nerf to peg bolts installed I should be right on the money.
Thanks joepa.

etccb
09-09-2011, 08:37 AM
A little finnish work and these will be off to powder.

etccb
09-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Here is some great news for me. I did not have any idea how wide these were going to be. I was already working on plans in my mind on how I could possibly narrow them up. I was sadly expecting to see 49ish.
Thats 47" baby! Much better for this stock arm and axle dune build.

etccb
09-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks to pdxbigfoot for helping me with chassis inc, joepa for breaking out the tape measure, and the very nice lady at X-Factor. This should be a nice setup for this duner 87 TRX250R. I will update this thread when I get the final assembly together and post some photos. The nerf mounts on the pegs were a perfect match with these x-factors and the clearance at the end of the peg area was not a problem. To simply say that I am happy with the final results would be a big understatement.

pdxbigfoot
09-09-2011, 02:12 PM
First off I want to say thank you for being so patient with us on these pegs.
It was a fiasco moving a whole shop to a new location, having the TIG just decide not to work and getting backed up because of it.
I'm glad they worked out for ya and it looks like a pretty solid set up.

etccb
09-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Stuff happens Jason. Thanks again for your help and yes this looks like a solid setup for those 86-87 out there. Now I can get after this build. I told Eddie to go ahead and get it on and that I would be ready soon.

I wanta ride I wanta ride I wanta ride

JoePA
09-09-2011, 04:40 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I talked to Lew today and probaly going to order up a set. I need to contact Xfactor as well to get a set of nerfs...I now have 4 sets!! I must have isues!!

The setup looks outstanding and this truly is the right direction for the old 250R and Lew THANK YOU!!

Can you take a pick where they cross throughthe frame? That's where I had all my issues.

etccb
09-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by JoePA

Can you take a pick where they cross throughthe frame? That's where I had all my issues.

Here you go. This combo will bolt right on.

JoePA
09-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Hate to be a pain but how about a pic from the side? I kept hitting one of the down tubes.

etccb
09-09-2011, 09:29 PM
I will have it on monday.

9-12-11 EDIT= I didn't get it for today. I won't forget about you but it may take me until friday to get and post the pic that you are asking for.

etccb
09-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Here you go joe.
You could flip this around if you need to. I am taking this cross bracket and the pegs to the powder coater on my way home.
I had in my mind that I was going to coat this bracket black but now I am looking at this pic and thinking that red just like the frame would look very clean.......
Whats everyones thoughts? Black or red???

etccb
09-16-2011, 08:30 AM
A slightly lower angle in case you need it.

Higgy87TRX425
09-16-2011, 03:47 PM
I think that you should get them painted the same color as your frame. That way they will blend in and look as if they're part of the frame. Just my 2 cents! Thanks Higgy!

etccb
09-16-2011, 04:09 PM
I am thinking the same thing higgy.
Thanks

JoePA
09-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Excellent! thats what I needed. On my 86 frame I have tubes that come down just in front of the motor mount brackets and thats where my nerfs were hitting. Looks like these new pegs will do the trick!

Thank you for taking those pics...the build looks PERFECT!

etccb
01-09-2012, 08:22 AM
More photos. And I am verry happy that I went with the red higgy. The nets are now on and more pics should be up soon.

L

etccb
01-09-2012, 08:22 AM
R

etccb
01-09-2012, 08:33 AM

Higgy87TRX425
01-09-2012, 07:30 PM
I was just looking at your post. I thought it looked sick!!! Beautiful bike bro, you know I love the red and gold. I already have a I set of red beadlocks for my bike, but after seeing this I was thinkng of running a set of gold maybe!! huh?? I'll post some pic's on my thread sonetime later.
I think you did an awesome job on this build though,man. All I can say is "Red and Gold" and I do believe that you can annodizine both of them too? Just a thought for the future! Great job!!
Thanks Higgy

etccb
01-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks higgy. I am happy with how it has turned out. The powder on the upper arms and swinger did not come out as expected. I did approve the sample in my hand as I was standing in the sun at the one angle that made it look correct. The problem is that 90% of the time it doesn't and 50% of the time it can look way off. :( for now.

Higgy87TRX425
01-10-2012, 11:49 PM
etccb,
You know what I did was look at it in the garage outta the direct sunlight then look at it outside the garage. After I found the gold that matched the best I had him paint it and then put a couple of layers of clear coat over it, Now it shines awesome in the sun. Just a thought, but it may help down the line sometime.
It seems to me that I learn something new on every bike or part I rebuild. Another tip that I used or if someone else is painting it for you is this. When your done sand blasting or stripping the part make sure that all the sand that got into any of the nooks and cranny's when you were cleaning it is blown out. I can;'t remember how many times that I've gotten parts back, frames, swingarms, A-arms etc.. only to find piles of rusty sand and paint chips. Then you have to try and get it all out yourself with the blower on your aircompressor!!! By then its already been painted and alot harder to get out, because some of the holes are quite a bit more covered up!! Oh and it happens with chrome parts as well!
Just my 2 cents, hope it helps
Thanks Higgy

fx4pitrone
08-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Digging up an old thread......
Do you have contact info for FXR or Chssis Inc. or someone that makes these pegs/nerfs combo?

Any chance anyone has also tries getting an integrated heel guard on these as well????

****EDIT**** Nevermind!! I just saw that AC makes them w/ the heel guard too!! Sweeeeeeet!!

hawaiiysr
08-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Chassis Fab inc. 501-318-1710
lew@chassisincfab.com

Lew jr. i believe is the man behind the pegs. stainless or steel CNC cut and tig welded. i think he was also working on some heal guards to work with the pegs.

etccb
08-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Yes, AC is now making some for the 86-87 again and that would be a good option. If a person does not want the heal guard style of the new ac this setup turned out very good.