PDA

View Full Version : 250ex smoking

dxcody
09-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Ok, long story.. my friend is.. well a ra-tard.

He bought this junk 250ex that runs great, but it has a welded on FMF (welded a slip on-onto the midpipe) (it was like that when he bought it) and me being my dumb self, told him (it was popping and cracking) that it needed jetted.. So he goes out and buys A main jet from the local atv shop.

He puts it in hisself (or tries to...he has no mechanical capabilities) and he ends up bringing the carb over to my house for me to jet it because he doesnt know where the main jet is..

So i put his new main jet in for him, and he take its home.
The next day he comes over saying that i messed it up. He said that it was idling really high, and i told him that the only thing i did was put the main jet in (he stood there and watched me)

So he goes home and reads somewhere that you play with the a/f and pilot screw to turn down the idle, and he has no idea where either of these are, so he just starts torking on screws (idk which ones)

Now it is smoking like a 2 stroke.. He and his dad keep saying its burning oil... IT IS NOT BURNING OIL i can assure you.. Its because he was jacking with stuff on the carb. The smoke is white and you can smell it running really rich and it dicipates in the air as soo as you can see it...

Anyone have any idea whats wrong with it??

Sorry for the long post i just wanted you guys to know the full/accurate story so you guys can give me the most accurate advice possible.. thanks for your time

~cody~

ryanh250ex
09-11-2011, 12:00 PM
If it runs lean for long enough...its very possible that it can end up burning oil.

Make sure there are no vacuum leaks, everything is bolted up as it should be, etc. Go back to the factory jetting specs except for the main jet. DETERMINE WHAT SIZE MAIN JET IS IN THE CARB.

Have your friend point out what items he tightened/loosened. Go from there....

If it is popping and crackling on decel, that is NOT a function of the main jet but rather of the fuel screw.....which is not easy to get to without the bike off the carb.