PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon problem at house

derekhonda
09-09-2011, 05:45 AM
Greetings all, I have a weird problem.

At a rental property I own the tenent has been complaining about raccoons. She thinks there is a whole family of them living in the attic.

I have a buddy that has a raccoon trap, but I don't really want to make 4 or 5 trips over there to catch one at a time, and truthfully, I don't really want to dispose of them after I catch them either.

I was wondering about poison if I just threw a couple of bait chunks up there, do raccoons die "in their home"? I know lots of animals know when they are getting sick and leave home base, I just don't really want them to die up in the attic so I didn't know if they would just wander away and the problem would go away?

Anyone got any other better ideas?

chronicsmoke
09-09-2011, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Greetings all, I have a weird problem.

At a rental property I own the tenent has been complaining about raccoons. She thinks there is a whole family of them living in the attic.

I have a buddy that has a raccoon trap, but I don't really want to make 4 or 5 trips over there to catch one at a time, and truthfully, I don't really want to dispose of them after I catch them either.

I was wondering about poison if I just threw a couple of bait chunks up there, do raccoons die "in their home"? I know lots of animals know when they are getting sick and leave home base, I just don't really want them to die up in the attic so I didn't know if they would just wander away and the problem would go away?

Anyone got any other better ideas?

Call Billy the X-terminator! lol

I like the idea of live traps, then if they do die, they wont decompose in an area that you can't see them. That would rank up the whole attic/2nd level.

I'd bite the bullet, trap them one at a time, get a large 45 gallon drum, and toss the cage (raccoon and all) in the drum. (a pond works well too, if you have one lol) He'll drown within a minute or so..

Inhumane, maybe, but I grew up on a farm! :blah:

88redrocket
09-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Coons? Well raccoons tried to get in our back porch, Momma just chase ‘em off with a broom!

Pappy
09-09-2011, 07:26 AM
If its a do it yourself deal....a few live traps and about a week is all you need. You can just drive them off and let them go if needed...we shoot and skin them here.

An exterminator or animal control person can do it as well.

One way to do it is to see how they are getting in, wait until 9pm then seal up the hole.

Posion is no good, you will end up with rotting coons in a wall somewhere......

derekhonda
09-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Well, I've called a couple places to hire it out, 200 bucks to set 5 traps, 65 bucks per animal trapped. A little saltier than I want to pay, I think I'll just go buy a second trap and borrow my buddies and start setting them.

A company I called recommended not putting them in the attic but just on the roof and one on the ground. Anyone have any other guidance on the placement issue?

Pappy
09-09-2011, 09:08 AM
I think I need to start a coon trappin' business

wilkin250r
09-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
I think I need to start a coon trappin' business
Plus, you get to keep and sell the pelts afterwards. It's a win-win scenario for you!

Pappy
09-09-2011, 10:08 AM
If its a winter pelt yes....other then that they arent worth anything

KXRida
09-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Get a few animal traps at harbor freight. I ended up trapping about 20 or so skunks a few weeks back and ended up turning a pretty respectable profit.

fastrnrik
09-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Without sounding like a racist... there are certain parts of town where certain people like to eat them. You can usually sell them to those people. We used to get 30 bucks for a coon back when we were in high school. If you skin them first, leave a foot on so they know it's a coon. They wouldn't buy them here without a foot on.

Tommy Warren
09-09-2011, 06:44 PM
in high school I used to trap live rabbits for a guy who trains dogs to hunt them.. I got 35 bucks a pop...and I caught some cool stuff like fishers, beavers, and foxes... its pretty fun catching stuff

walker054
09-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Just get a couple live traps and catch them yourself, Peanut Butter mixed with honey, dog and cat food also work pretty well also.