PDA

View Full Version : After install of sparks timing key

Braff1
02-24-2003, 10:55 AM
I recently installed the sparks timing key on my 400 EX and now on 2 occasions the starter motor has engaged while I am off and running. First off this is scary as he11 when it happens and I know that this is not good for the starter. My question is has anyone else had this problem after installing the timing key? The starter work fine starting the quad without difficulty. I am thinking maybe the flywheel is maybe pushed on too far not letting the starting wheel completely disengage.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Dan

roostu
02-24-2003, 11:09 AM
When you say the starter engaged do you mean it started running or does it just start spinning.....what im trying to ask is, could it be an electrical problem? Or is it just a mecahanical one? It seems to me that it would have to be electrical for it to engage. I would check the electrical connections first.

~Roost-U

GNCC#829
02-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Call sparks and tell them you problem. I never had that problem(or any problem) with mine.

Big - D Racing
02-24-2003, 01:59 PM
I have never had that problem, and my timing is advanced using the sparks key

hawiianpwr
02-24-2003, 02:57 PM
yeah I didnt have that problem either

luvmyex
02-24-2003, 02:58 PM
how do you install a key? And is it really worth doing?I know the part is pretty cheap.I mean labor wise.

Sparks425Ex
02-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by luvmyex
how do you install a key? And is it really worth doing?I know the part is pretty cheap.I mean labor wise.

It is worth it. I mean 15 bucks for more power...As for doing it:

Take off your Ignition side case. Take the bolt outta hte middle outta the fly wheel. Put the fly wheel puller in that hole and Turn until Fly wheel pops off and take out stock woodruff key. stick in enw Key and re-install. Pretty simple actually.

Braff1
02-24-2003, 03:38 PM
I had talk to Sparks and only thing they would say is it is not related to their key. The gearing is only involved when the starter drags. I am wondering if when I put the flywheel on if I didn't run it too far in not letting the starter gear on the crank disengage. Any gearheads out there that can help.