PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Scam

dquarton
09-07-2011, 05:36 PM
I have been seeing numerous ads similar to this one, some with quads, offering high dollar vehicles at stupid low prices. I responded to one and I got some BS reply about a guy being in the military, and he could ship the quad for free because of that and to reply back if I was still interested. Anyone know what the deal with these ads is?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tid/2586696993.html

fx4pitrone
09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Those ads are all over the place... sad that some a-holes use the military excuse and how it will be shipped from a military base and such to rip people off... some people are just scum bags!!!

twopump78
09-07-2011, 07:26 PM
those were on kansas city craigs list

DnB_racing
09-07-2011, 07:55 PM
one reason they offer free shipping is to sell to people far enough away so they know you wont be picking up in person to see its a scam,

tell them you will pay cod and pay for the extra cod charges and see what they say, let them even chose the cod broker. tell them as long as the item is as advertised then you pay,

if not he pays one way to ship and you pay for the return if not to your standards

fx4pitrone
09-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by twopump78
those were on kansas city craigs list

Same ad was here in New England too... sad thing is, someone will probably get scammed not knowing any better

Fear250r
09-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by fx4pitrone
Same ad was here in New England too...

I emailed some bozo about one of those and told him I'd have my buddy on base go check it out for me. He insisted he couldn't because it was "already wrapped up"...

dquarton
09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
How is it that we cannot flag these ads?? And why would the cops not set up some kind of sting?

DoonRider
09-07-2011, 09:31 PM
You can flag it in the upper right corner - spam/overpost.
We get them here too.

wilkin250r
09-07-2011, 09:35 PM
The way those scams works is they tell you they're out of the country in the military, or working out of the country, or some other reason they can't handle the transaction themselves. So they say they'll use "SureYouBetchaYourMoneyIsSafeWithUs.com" to handle the transaction, or some other bogus escrow service like MoneyBookers.com or BuyerProtection.us or something that sounds legit.

Now, legitimate escrow services are great, they do indeed help protect buyers because they act as a neutral third-party, taking payment and verifying it, but not releasing that money to the seller until goods are delivered. Legitimate escrow services are great, and people trust them. Thus the success of fake escrow services.

So basically, you send your payment to this "escrow service" that is supposed to hold your money until you get your goods. But the fake site is set up by the seller, he takes your money, and he's gone. No quad, and ain't no way you're getting your money back.

sangheraent
09-07-2011, 10:22 PM
these adds are usually the only adds that list factory specs of the item your looking at. The scammers don't know dick about any of the items there selling so they copy and paste the first spec sheet they see.

Im currently selling my truck on craigslist and I was completely bombarded with emails from scammers trying to get my information so their shipping agent could come pick up my truck.

Im sure these guys get a couple people a week otherwise it wouldn't be worth the work for them.

Fear250r
09-08-2011, 06:55 AM
The price is usually too good to be true too...