PDA

View Full Version : Rear Master Cylinder Rebuild??

DEWER
09-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Has anyone done this? I'm sure its common I guess. A guy I know said i might have to hone it out like on a vehicle. I hope some one can help and give me some advice on if its worth the money or just easier to buy a whole new one. Thanks in advance.

Zeb400EX
09-07-2011, 07:12 PM
I've done rebuilt one a few years ago. I can remember if honda makes a kit or not. They do for the front m/cyl. and calipers. Shouldn't need honing just replace the seals.

dxcody
09-07-2011, 07:20 PM
i would just get on motosport.com and look on the OEM part guide and buy the seals in there instead of buying a rebuild kit.

Really the only thing in a master cylinder that can go bad are the seals for the most part.

DEWER
09-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the response guys. Got a lot of lookers but no responders. Must not be that common of a problem. I ordered a new rebuild kit tonite so I will let you know how it turned out. Thanks again.

nelzar13
09-07-2011, 08:39 PM
on the rear master cylinder subject... what symptoms are there of needing a rebuild besides pissing brake fluid? lack of the pedal rebounding upward? Thats my issue... thinking it was about time. recently bled the brakes and it got slightly better but not great...

DEWER
09-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks for posting. Not leaking any fluid. Rear brake was hung up and I jumped the gun and bought a new caliper and installed it. Now i can't get the brakes to bleed. A buddy told me pull the line off the top of the master and push the pedal. Should be pressure if I hold my finger over it. Did that and have no pressure at all. So I figured it must be the master. I am lost worked just fine a month ago. Now I got issues.

Stickman400
09-08-2011, 02:08 PM
If your pedal isn't going up and you know your brakes are bleed it could be that the pivot point of the pedal that slides into the frame is seized up and not allowing it to pivot freely. Take it off, clean it and the hole out, lube it up then re-install it and see if that helps. I've seen quite a few Hondas that have the same style brake pedal seize up.

nelzar13
09-08-2011, 05:35 PM
yeah i was looking at that also just havnt gotten around to it yet.... im sure its a bit rusty in there.... gonna see if i can score some thin nylon washer and get them in there maybe reduce some friction if its at all possible to get some in there

DEWER
09-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Got the brake fixed tonite after putting a new rebuild kit in. Was easy to do. Thanks for all your help and replies.

dxcody
09-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Good to hear! Hard to ride without back brakes lol Its deff doable but it sucks!