PDA

View Full Version : greasy foam filter?

uchi
09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
i bought my 450r last week and pulled the lid to check out the filter. its got a metal mesh filter wrapped in a sponge thats attached at the bottom. but this thing is sticky and greasy. i took some k&n filter cleaner to it trying to get the stuff off and it feels like someone put grease on it or something similar. regardless the cleaner didnt get it off, id rather not toss the filter because it looks like it might be worth a few bucks. any idea what i can do to get it clean?

jesshamner
09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Mine was a little like that too when I bought it. I always use no toil filter cleaner and oil. I was told about it by a friend and I have been hooked ever since.

eastside 400
09-06-2011, 05:11 PM
that "sponge" is the filter, the metal screen is just a backfire screen. You need to buy foam air filter cleaner and oil. The K&N products will not work on foam. Buy the cleaner, spray it on, let sit for a few minutes then wash out with warm water and some soap if needed. let filter dry completely and oil

Pacheco_450r
09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Dawn dish soap works really good to get all the old oil/grease along with the dirt out.

uchi
09-06-2011, 08:54 PM
excellent thats what im looking for, thanks fellas

DnB_racing
09-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by uchi
i bought my 450r last week and pulled the lid to check out the filter. its got a metal mesh filter wrapped in a sponge thats attached at the bottom. but this thing is sticky and greasy. i took some k&n filter cleaner to it trying to get the stuff off and it feels like someone put grease on it or something similar. regardless the cleaner didnt get it off, id rather not toss the filter because it looks like it might be worth a few bucks. any idea what i can do to get it clean? i wish all filter oil was as tacky and sticky as the stock.. that stuff is great!!no dust has any chance of getting through that stuff

uchi
09-07-2011, 05:20 AM
i wasnt sure if thats what it was or if someone had actually put some sort of grease of chain oil or something on it. im glad i wore gloves while dealing with it, stuff got real tacky when i got it wet. and there was a ton of crap stuck to it too. but 100% visible clean on the inside, unlike my k&n which had the occasional little bit of stuff make it through and stay in the intake tube, the screen looked brand new from the inside same with the tube going to the carb

dustin_j
09-07-2011, 08:30 AM
I like to soak the filter in mineral spirits and then wash with water and dish soap to finish clean. Remember to rinse from the inside out to flush out the particles. Maxima Foam Filter Treatment (FFT) oil works very good and is very tacky/sticky.

chronicsmoke
09-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by dustin_j
Maxima Foam Filter Treatment (FFT) oil works very good and is very tacky/sticky.

I use it too, best I've seen so far, if you have gloves I suggest them. This stuff is stickier than my brothers bed sheets. :blah:

uchi
09-24-2011, 02:01 PM
thanks guys, sticky for sure, i started trying to clean it with gloves on and k&n filter cleaner and it ruined my latex gloves, the stuff they put on there is something else, i cant see any dirt of anything finding its way through.

ThumPIN_450R
09-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
i wish all filter oil was as tacky and sticky as the stock.. that stuff is great!!no dust has any chance of getting through that stuff

The honda brand filter oil is repacked no toil.