PDA

View Full Version : buying my first 450r

IRISH-RACER-14
09-06-2011, 11:03 AM
hello. ive ridden and raced a 450r but not actually owned my own. im about to buy this if things go to plan

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/quads/2356901

what should i look out for? would it be hard to kick compared to my yz125?

also what should i check when i go to look at it. it has aftermarket a-arms and nerf bars and some sort of graphics kit so thats cool.

ill probably change the junk graphics anyway.

fastredrider44
09-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Look for cracks in the frame especially around the footpeg areas, and ask if it has ever had a crank put in it.

Stay on top of oil changes and clean air filters.

As far as hard to kick, My 120 lb G/F can start all my 450s so I'm sure you will be fine, however its a different type of kick than how you kick an ol 125 2 smoker.

IRISH-RACER-14
09-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
however its a different type of kick than how you kick an ol 125 2 smoker.

i know its a forward kick but im sure its the same yeah? do they ever kick back on you and hurt your legs?

IRISH-RACER-14
09-06-2011, 03:40 PM
he said full duncan exhaust. i presume he means a fat boy?

IRISH-RACER-14
09-07-2011, 04:31 PM
hopefully collecting it saturday. should be fun.

i was thinking of buying a case saver, new air filter,oil filter and some oil just to service it. also maybey some better nerf bars then them crappy ones

mx Eli
09-07-2011, 05:30 PM
get new oil both tranny and motor with new filter. while your at it get some new coolent. you only need two quarts. a good case saver is a good idea. save your money for new tires also

DnB_racing
09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by IRISH-RACER-14
i know its a forward kick but im sure its the same yeah? do they ever kick back on you and hurt your legs? its not just the forward kick, it has a different feel being you have a decompression mechanism and valves,and 2 extra strokes

to make sure your at the compression stroke it takes a couple times to get the feel, to get the good first kick.. but nothing you wont get used to

IRISH-RACER-14
09-07-2011, 05:46 PM
mxeli? is there 2 different types of oil needed?

also where can i buy some cheap jets? it has a full exhaust system and its most likely incorrectly jetted.

is it safe to kick start it with some trainers on? ive heard stories of guys hurting themselves?

DnB_racing
09-07-2011, 05:57 PM
mxeli? is there 2 different types of oil needed?

also where can i buy some cheap jets? it has a full exhaust system and its most likely incorrectly jetted.

is it safe to kick start it with some trainers on? ive heard stories of guys hurting themselves? just get your self some rottella in the white bottle, its race tested and proven and CHEAP

this way you wont be afraid to change you oil more often and try to save money by going to long on used oil, and is safe for both sides.. but what ever oil you choose just dont get oil with moly for clutch side

as far as jets make sure you get original keihin brand,off brands dont have the cosistancey of size standards as keihin
XC bobs on ebay has a kit with the NVCQ needle

as far as kicking a high compression 2 stroke has much worse kick back, then a compression start regulated 4 stroke,

but any wet slippery boot can slip and hurt, i would rather get the kick start arm on my shin then slipping off the kicker and getting the foot peg in the shin

IRISH-RACER-14
09-07-2011, 06:01 PM
if things go well then i should have it by saturday.

mx Eli
09-08-2011, 05:38 AM
some people perfer rotella some use others just change it enough and ull be good. as for kicking get it to the compression stroke, go past tdc, let the lever come all the way up and kick hard. should start fine

turkeyracer
10-30-2011, 02:38 PM
hello. ive ridden and raced a 450r but not actually owned my own. im about to buy this if things go to plan

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/quads/2356901

what should i look out for? would it be hard to kick compared to my yz125?

also what should i check when i go to look at it. it has aftermarket a-arms and nerf bars and some sort of graphics kit so thats cool.

ill probably change the junk graphics anyway.
When have you raced a 450r ?