PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Clutch Questions

yernkie
09-06-2011, 09:08 AM
I just picked up an 86 250r and there seems to be some issues with the clutch. If I start the bike in neutral, pull in the clutch, then put it in gear it jerks forward or sometimes stalls. If I put it in gear while shut off, pull in the clutch, and try to push the bike it does not roll freely. I have adjusted the clutch (at the lever and at the case) but it doesn't help much. One thing I noticed is that the clutch cable does not look factory because it looks too long, so I ordered a new clutch lever (MSR AOF) and stock cable. If that doesn't help what should I look at next? I read something about grooves in the clutch basket? Think the clutch is fried?

yernkie
09-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Update: This bike had been sitting for a while when I bought it. Could the clutch be "stuck"? There is a slight leak in the clutch cover gasket so it was low on oil (maybe 300ml total).

Motofool250r
09-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Well what year is your Quad?

there is an 89 upgrade to the push rod in the clutch that caused some issues, i dont have the history on it but i know i had to do it on my last build.

and second if the Clutch basket fingers are chewed up the clutch plates cant move freely to engage or disengage, and that would do this.

A new Hinson basket is 200$ there are cheaper brands for 150$ out there.

its also possible to reuse your stock steel discs if you rough them up with some sand paper if you are on a stock engine. and a set of Fiber discs and a gasket are you back in business.

Grande Huevos
09-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I think motofool pretty much sumed it all up. If you are trying to get by for a bit to save some money you can also try and file the grooves out of the basket if they are not to deep. Also if the bike had been sitting for a while and low on oil then it is very poss that the plates are stuck together. I would take them out seperate them maybe soak them in fresh oil while your inspecting the rest of the clutch and berfore reassembling rough the steel plates up a bit with sand paper or concrete for a better bite!!! There is also a clutch upgrade you can do by using YZ clutch plates not 100% on the year? i know its in the 90s. CT racing can tell you what it is if sombody on this site cannot. I used it on my ct 310 and it was awesome! Hope this helps and good luck with the R

destey
09-07-2011, 06:12 AM
My z400 does that about half the time. I think its the fiber plates sticking to the friction plates. I put it in gear, pull the clutch and rock the machine back and forth until it frees up. Then its fine until it sits again for a few days.

If it doesn't get better after riding it for a minute or two, its probably grooves on the clutch as previously stated. Or maybe your fiber/friction plates are worn or glazed.

yernkie
09-07-2011, 07:51 AM
I'm going to pull the cover tonight and take a look at the clutch and basket. Any tips on removing the cover and clutch?

Motofool250r
09-07-2011, 01:19 PM
if there is no gas in it, tip it up on its side to keep the extra oil in the case so theclutch cover faces the sky.

if there gas in the carb n such gotta drain or plug the vents.

destey
09-08-2011, 06:17 AM
I've always just drained the oil.

To change the clutch plates:

- remove the kick start lever
- remove all the bolts around the right side clutch cover
- slide cover off
- remove the 5 (i think) bolts and springs on the inner clutch hub.
- slide inner hub out
- slide clutch plates out

installation is reverse. Be careful not to cross thread or overtighten the bolts on the inner hub.

Inspect the outer hub, the slots for the fiber plates should be smooth. If they're wavy/jagged this is from wear. If you're on a budget and very brave you can file these down. Otherwise buy a new basket. I got a vortex one for around $100, similar to the hinson one.

I've done so many clutches lately, does anyone remember if the 250r has the half clutch plate + spring plate, or am I thinking of another machine?