PDA

View Full Version : cam, and more compression?????

alky440ex
09-05-2011, 08:20 PM
i have a stage 2 hot cam and want change to another cam for more performance. Do the stage 3 hot cam offer a bigger difference than the stage 2 cam? Are they any other cams that out perform hot cams? Im running 12:1 on compression and thinking about going to 14:1. Other than blowing head gaskets what should i be worried about with 14:1 compression?

thanks, jason

DnB_racing
09-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by alky440ex
i have a stage 2 hot cam and want change to another cam for more performance. Do the stage 3 hot cam offer a bigger difference than the stage 2 cam? Are they any other cams that out perform hot cams? Im running 12:1 on compression and thinking about going to 14:1. Other than blowing head gaskets what should i be worried about with 14:1 compression?

thanks, jason the stage 3 has a longer duration, and a little later intake center lobe but around the same lift as the stage 2,making the stage 3 more suited for a big bore...

web makes some killer cams but require some modifications and are tough on the valve train from the heavy springs required....

keep the stage 2 unless your going big bore then go 3,,if you do much more your greatly sacrificing reliability..

if you really feel you need that much more, then I really recomend selling the 400 in favor of a 450,

I wouldn't trade the reliability of a nicely modified ex for a highly modified ex that's a grenade

tri5ron
09-06-2011, 10:25 AM
X2,
Very well said.

alky440ex
09-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
the stage 3 has a longer duration, and a little later intake center lobe but around the same lift as the stage 2,making the stage 3 more suited for a big bore...

web makes some killer cams but require some modifications and are tough on the valve train from the heavy springs required....

keep the stage 2 unless your going big bore then go 3,,if you do much more your greatly sacrificing reliability..

if you really feel you need that much more, then I really recomend selling the 400 in favor of a 450,

I wouldn't trade the reliability of a nicely modified ex for a highly modified ex that's a grenade

my ex is a 460 stroker. so going to stage3 cam will do me some good since it more for big bore motors. i dont want my motor blowing up i just wanted to get the most out of it and still be pretty reliable.would moving up to a 13:1 cause more problems than a 12:1? i just sold my 08 yfz 450 cause i didnt ride it much i like more ex more and it was faster than my 450. if i get another 450 it will be a honda.

ish416
09-08-2011, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't expect much of gain in power from where your currently at. You may have 3 - 5 HP if you go higher compression with a bigger cam but you will really start getting to the limits of an EX.

If you want more power, its time to move to something with a better engine.

drew416ex
09-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Get the stage 3. I had a stage 2 and swapped to a stage 3 on my 440 stroker. It made a night and day difference.