PDA

View Full Version : starter button

gr race
09-05-2011, 06:33 PM
want to get rid of key and mount a nice handle bar mounted starter button any idea where to get one or what are others using with electric start

DnB_racing
09-05-2011, 06:55 PM
you really dont want to totally eliminate the key,with the e-start model with no key the battery will discharge if just hot wired

I put mine on the frame with 2 tie wraps real tight and it will never move, right next to the steering stem, this way its hidden but i can still reach it from the top just by turning the handle bars a little.

i used a kill switch as my start button, and I have a tether wire in for my stop,

I put all the wires from the start button inside a red silicne tube for looks and protection, and heat shunk the ends and filled the tube with dielecrtic grease inside to keep all moisture out for protection..

looks real clean and is almost bullit proof from all damage and water

DnB_racing
09-05-2011, 07:02 PM
im not sure if you get a good veiw of what im talking about but hopfully you get the idea

jkiserracing
09-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I bought this one rocky mountain. works perfect.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=78&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&stockId=23378&prodFamilyId=9312

Cant get rid of the key though. You will have to keep it somewhere. I bundled my key, neutral and hot light all together just under the hood. I replaced the entire on/off light dimmer switch with the start button and my tether kill.

Heres a pic.

jkiserracing
09-05-2011, 07:17 PM
the other

gr race
09-06-2011, 12:57 PM
thanks that helps

flyboy62
09-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Baldwin makes a good one. you just plug it in and thats it. no messin with all the wires

Pacheco_450r
09-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by flyboy62
Baldwin makes a good one. you just plug it in and thats it. no messin with all the wires

I looked on Baldwin's site and only saw it for the Kfx450, where did you get it?

jkiserracing
09-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Its not hard to wire it up. Just look at the wire colors going into the starter button (you have to take apart the switch) and wire it right up.

DnB_racing
09-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by flyboy62
no messin with all the wires were is the fun with that.lol

I recommend everyone opening a harness completely up at least once, to full understand all the components and how they react to each other

this way any future problems are only quick fixes instead of mysteries,,, to many people have false apprehension about wiring, and make it much more confusing then it really is

gr race
09-07-2011, 02:26 PM
just curious is the 450 that different from a 300 i have a 300ex with just a starter button no key and battery doesnt drain

DnB_racing
09-07-2011, 04:38 PM
yes, when you jump the red to black at the key to eliminate the key

the black from the key switch, on the 450 goes through the cdi, and all those resistors, causing the battery to drain.

were on the ex the black doesnt go directly to the cdi, only to the regulator, and auxiliary circuits, so on the ex as long as the lights are off no drain

there is a way around this on the R but it requires a complete rewire of the harness,

and the use of a run when closed tether, and use the red and black from the key,
instead using a run when open tether as normally used,
and you use the tether to stop current from flowing, you just have to make sure the red side is the insulated side of the teather or it will shock you when wet

and remove the actual kill cuircut from the cdi,

gr race
09-07-2011, 05:24 PM
great info thanks