PDA

View Full Version : starter clutches

finsteratv
09-05-2011, 02:10 PM
first ride out on my 450er it started just fine but i stopped to go check out where to build a trail and i went back to start it..i push the starter button and all that happens is the starter spins but the motor doesnt turn over. i pushed my bike down a hill and dropped the clutch to get back to camp and the rest of the day it strted just fine except when it did it 2 other times. whats your guy's thoughts? starter clutches?

DnB_racing
09-05-2011, 02:54 PM
what oil are you using?
most times the starter clutch isn't intermittent like that without any other warnings, like grinding noise when its engaged,

but pull the cover and check to make sure the starter clutch isn't missing some of the one way bearings, but i would guess it has to do with the starter clutch,

but look carefully at the reduction gears, it sounds like maybe the gear holder is loose, causing the starter shaft gear not to engage the idle gears

finsteratv
09-05-2011, 04:08 PM
its fresh synthetic honda oil. i'll do that once i get er home. maybe fresh oil and see if a non synthetic works better? i use valvoline atv oil normally that has the same rating as honda oil.

DnB_racing
09-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
its fresh synthetic honda oil. i'll do that once i get er home. maybe fresh oil and see if a non synthetic works better? i use valvoline atv oil normally that has the same rating as honda oil. id pull the cover and inspect the reduction gears and holder my guess is something isn't quit right in there,

one of those bolts take lock-tight so it doesnt back out, you might want to be on the safe side and check to possibly save some cash if it is loose

finsteratv
09-05-2011, 07:17 PM
hmmm well i will for sure once i get it in the garage, so just right off the starter?

DnB_racing
09-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
hmmm well i will for sure once i get it in the garage, so just right off the starter? check this area

THR36
09-05-2011, 07:52 PM
if you touch the gas at all the slightest bit while hitting the start button you will destroy starter clutches like crazy! more then likely your going to need a starter and starter clutch!

DnB_racing
09-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by THR36
if you touch the gas at all the slightest bit while hitting the start button you will destroy starter clutches like crazy! more then likely your going to need a starter and starter clutch! if his starter is winding then its not the starter..

you would be surprised how much abuse that little motor can take,
Ive had mine wired 24 volt for a couple years and have even started with quad in gear with no clutch,

after doing this many times i did have to replace the brushes in the starter,
but the motor is strong enough to roll the quad fast enough in second gear to start the quad.

but brushes aren't much money to have a rolling start, and only take about 15 minutes to change out

finsteratv
09-05-2011, 08:23 PM
i havnt been hitting the gas but imnot sure about the guy before me though..

Thumpin440ex
09-06-2011, 12:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TER87qX6vu0

More then likely it is this, a cheap fix you can do yourself in about 35 mn..

John