PDA

View Full Version : 400 rear suspension help please

05beater
09-05-2011, 06:42 AM
I have an 05 400ex. I need to do something with my rear setup, reasonably priced to give me a better ride for xc. Im 200lbs. I have both a stock 400 shock and 450 shock. And I need to do something quick. I few day ride in dec. Any suggestions?

CJM
09-05-2011, 08:02 AM
GT Thunder sells a XC link which will lower the ride and remove the bucking the 400ex usually has (due to a short swingarm), to get the full effect your going to also want them to revalve your 400ex shock. you will also have to cut the skidplate a bit in the shock linkage area as the shock will have more travel and hit otherwise.

Or you can get a longer swingarm and rwevalve the shock. 1.25 inches longer is what you want, but they are big bucks.

dustin_j
09-06-2011, 09:58 AM
I agree with CJM. The stock 400ex linkage is too progressive; meaning, as the wheels travel, the shock travel increases too much. This gives the harsh ride and "bucking" feeling. My preferred solution is to upgrade to a GT Thunder linkage. Your stock shock works good with the linkage after it's re-sprung and revalved. The turnaround time from most shock builders is roughly 2 weeks to get setup for the link. Contact GT Thunder or M@ulTechATV.

If you want something to get by in the meantime, use your stock shock. It will help to set the race sag to about 4.5," which will likely lead to you removing preload. If your 450R shock is off an 06 or newer, it's only slightly shorter and a slightly lighter spring rate (meaning no upgrade). If it's off an 04-05, then it's significantly shorter and a much stiffer spring rate (a downgrade from stock). I hope this helps.