PDA

View Full Version : Shock rebuild question

2k4400ex
09-04-2011, 05:29 PM
I recently got some 450R fronts and have been reading about how nice a revalve and respring is for these shocks. my question is should i go with JET suspension or GT Thunder? and i ride trails only so should i get a single or double rate setup? money is a factor so i have pretty much decided against a triple rate setup. thanks in advance to everyone.

Longdong
09-05-2011, 10:16 AM
I deal with jet and they have never let me down! Nick the owner will take time and answer your questions on the phone. Single vs double yes there is a difference. But it is all in what you want to spend. My advice is spend the money the first time and do them right. If you don't you will always wonder what the double rate will fell like. Good luck

DnB_racing
09-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 2k4400ex
I recently got some 450R fronts and have been reading about how nice a revalve and respring is for these shocks. my question is should i go with JET suspension or GT Thunder? and i ride trails only so should i get a single or double rate setup? money is a factor so i have pretty much decided against a triple rate setup. thanks in advance to everyone. yes 450r shocks can be made into a good riding shock!

if I was you I would save up another couple hundred buck and get the triple rate..but that's me,,it will be a noticeable difference, and then its done for good...both nick and Gt will do a great job. in my opinion its a toss up between the two,find out a timeline and price,and who you feel the most comfortable talking to, you wont be disappointed in either one

i have 2 pairs im sening out after the first of the year, im sending to JET, but GT isnt of the table for my options

2k4400ex
09-05-2011, 08:16 PM
i have been leaning towards the dual rate but was wondering if the difference between the dual and triple rate setup is worth the money. This sounds like a dumb question but is the main benefit of the triple rate just a softer ride? If i am wrong please correct me, i dont know much about the setup of a suspension. I am learning more and more on here though. thanks for the input guys.

DnB_racing
09-05-2011, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't say its just softer, but more responsive in different conditions,

it gives a better transition between the stages,

dont get me wrong the duals will feel much better then single rate, and the triple will just be one step above them

trailrider894
09-05-2011, 09:26 PM
I personally would use Jet, they are EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the 450r conversion for the 400ex. They are gonna be straight up with you and they won't try to sell you something that you don't need. Honest, hard working, inexpensive, knowledgeable, and for ONCE i finally found a place that doesn't act like they know what i want more than i know what i want... I won't point fingers, but another VERY popular company didn't exactly follow my exact directions because they used there own discretion and made my compression adjustments almost un-usable because of it... So yeah, JET is #1 if you ask me.

dustin_j
09-06-2011, 09:28 AM
The difference between any multi rate setup (dual, triple, etc) and a single rate spring is HUGE! Don't waste your time on rebuilding with a single rate spring; going to a dual rate spring setup would help more than a revalve and single rate. Quads need a lot of sag to give a plush feel while still cornering well. If you find a single rate spring to give correct sag, it will be too soft on larger jumps and obstacles.

DnBracing, have you ridden correctly tuned (and comparable) dual and triple rate setups back to back? I will argue that few people will notice the difference between dual and triple rate; even some pros run dual rate setups. I don't think you can feel a softer transition between stages, but you can notice a difference in weight transfer when cornering. However, the window in which triple rate actually works differently than dual rate is pretty small. I'd love to have more discssion on this, and hopefully we can provide enough information for the original poster and others to make an informed decision when sending out their shocks.

You can't go wrong with Jet, GT Thunder, or M@ulTech ATV. They all try to provide a good setup while saving the customer from purchasing extra unnecessary "extras."

As a tangent, I'd be interested to hear how trailrider's comp adjustment was un-usable. Do you mean the comp valving was too soft so you just had to use all of your adjustment? It's difficult to valve perfect on the first try without ever seeing the person ride. Also, few people fully understand how their suspension is and should work to accurately make suggestions/recommendations. Not picking on you, just stating.

trailrider894
09-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by dustin_j
As a tangent, I'd be interested to hear how trailrider's comp adjustment was un-usable. Do you mean the comp valving was too soft so you just had to use all of your adjustment? It's difficult to valve perfect on the first try without ever seeing the person ride. Also, few people fully understand how their suspension is and should work to accurately make suggestions/recommendations. Not picking on you, just stating.

Well i it was adjusted to hard... The shocks felt like rocks when i got them back. I do understand how adjusting suspension works, I ran a suspension adjustment station/class at a MX track a few weekends ago. It all goes hand in hand, I bet I made a dozen different shock setting profiles, and not one of them was what i wanted. I had called and tried to get some help from the company and they wouldn't help me out... So i resorted to Jet with a different set of the exact same shock, and it was perfect the first time through, after being adjusted for the right sag...

ALTHOUGH, i am currently running I-Shock re-valves, I do work for friends and ETC for there quads.

DnB_racing
09-06-2011, 09:38 AM
as far as riding on a properly tuned duel rate ...i can't guarantee they were setup correct, as they only been on others quads, but the thing that I felt was...

the triple rates had a softer slow spring and a firmer hard spring, it seamed it had a larger range and still had a plush ride.. but maybe the few sets of duels ive tried weren't setup as well

dustin_j
09-06-2011, 09:28 PM
DnB_racing,
I think a well setup pair of dual rates would also feel very good to you. However, I can see a minor benefit to triple rates if someone wants to spend the extra money. That said, I'm still using dual rates, haha. Thanks for sharing.