PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake problems

DEWER
09-04-2011, 12:12 PM
I hope someone can help. My rear brake on my 2004 EX locked up. So I bought a brand new one and installed it. Now when I went to bleed the brake the lever goes all the way down and doesn't move any fluid. Do I need to adjust them in before I get pressure? Do I need to fill the new caliper up befor installing it? Or is the master cylinder proubly bad? I've tried to look it up and don't seem to find a whole lot about it. Thanks in advance.

matts27
09-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Gotta bleed the air out of the system. Fill the rear brake resevoir, pump the pedal 2 to 3 time, hold the pedal on the last pump, crack the bleeder screw on the caliper, close the bleeder screw, repeat. Matt

DEWER
09-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the response. I tried that I pumped it 20 times and held it nothing happens. Tried to hold it down still nothing. It seems to not be pushing the fluid at all.

matts27
09-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Air bound, they are very small master cylinders. Try putting a mighty vac on the system and push the fluid in from the caliper to the master. If you don't have one take a piece of hose about 1/4" and 1ft long and attach it to the bleeder screw. Then fill a jar with brake fluid and place the tube in the jar. Keep the jar above the elevation of the master and crack the bleeder crew open about a full turn. Then slowly push the brake lever down and hold. this will gravity fill the system. make sure you have about 1 1/2" of fluid in the jar and the hose stays in the fluid. Gonna take a bunch of times with this method but second best to the mighty vac. Matt

DEWER
09-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the response. I got to get a smaller hose, the only thing I have is fuel line and that didn' make a good enough seal. Or find the vac like you said. Thanks, Danny.