PDA

View Full Version : raptor vs r

bansheeboyo
09-04-2011, 11:40 AM
hey hows it going ?
My brother is about to purchase a brandnew raptor 700 and plans on piping it and airfilter .
will a standard 250r with a 38 as trx9 pipe and air box eliminator keep up with it ?

Motofool250r
09-04-2011, 01:02 PM
without a ported or bigger bore cylinder or some type of power adder he will beat you.

if you toss on a big bore kit port the cylinder it will be a different game entirely.

but wont be a cheap affair.

265 sleeper
09-04-2011, 02:21 PM
You have good starter parts for a monster that could eat that craptor . Just need more cc 310 or bigger unless you want a all out drag bike .

bansheeboyo
09-04-2011, 03:30 PM
nah not after a drag quad i see no point in just straight lines all the time corners are wayyy more fun .
i was looking at buying a 350 cc bore kit for it and getting it ported to soot the pipe .
i almost bought one but am needing the money to buy a EVO 9 first then quad will get the cash thrown at it dont want no 4 banger beatin the ledgend that is the R

wilkin250r
09-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by bansheeboyo
nah not after a drag quad i see no point in just straight lines all the time corners are wayyy more fun .
i was looking at buying a 350 cc bore kit for it

I like where your head is at, straight line racing doesn't mean a thing unless that is your ONLY goal and it's built accordingly.

However, if your goal is more enjoyment from your quad, as well as making that Raptor look silly, I think your money would be much better spent on suspension. I looks like you've already got the a-arms and axle, a set of top-notch shocks would compliment very well and be near the same price as the motor package you're looking at.

265 sleeper
09-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Yea but suspension won't allow him to beat that craptor . But more cc he has the better chance of him waxin that craptor . You can find suspension for pretty good price on fleabay . Im one to work the opposite . Go fast then ride smooth . But its not my bike so do as you please . If you can do the work your self you can save your self a lot of money . I spent under a 1k to build my r that's a used pipe included . From cylinder kit and stroker . I spent 500 cylinder 250 stroker 150 on pipe then another 10 bucks on dry ice . So a grand total of 960 bucks . Boy its fun to eat craptors

profab250R
09-05-2011, 11:17 PM
he will beat you on a straight but not bad. but just remember... the 250R is built for MX and other tight course racing. The handling is FAR better on the 250r over the raptor.. With as much as he will spend in upgrades for that 700, if you put the same amount into your R you will spank him period.

a 310 kit with trx9 porting, trx9 pipe, pwk 38 carb (or 40.5mm), and v-force reeds ismore than sufficient and you have most of it.

aztecgwynn
09-06-2011, 01:06 AM
There is no replacement for displacement.

Meat
09-06-2011, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by aztecgwynn

I dunno... it all depends on what kind of riding they are doing together. If they're ripping around the mountains, a good running 250r should be the better quad. If they're riding trails that are like big flat roads and they're rippin' around over 55mph, then the rappy is going to have the edge. Anywhere else and the R should have the advantage. Too much displacement/hp can become a problem under some circumstances. GNCC racing for example. Those old 250R gncc'er's would run 265 alot and on the more wide-open tracks they'd use a 300 or 310. Too much HP in the woods will wear you out so damn fast.

wilkin250r has the right idea, if you wanna go faster, get some aftermarket shocks.

And one thing about a stock ported, but piped R is they are a little low on HP. A port job wakes up the motor just right.

Get a port job and some nice front shocks and you'll hang with raptor all day long. Get on a big long straightaway and he'll pull ahead of you, but who cares about top speeds.

wilkin250r
09-06-2011, 11:35 AM
The problem here is two-fold. Those types of people that DO care about "racing" in a straight line, that's all they care about. That straight line speed is all they notice. Even if you have a machine that handles better, corners better, jumps better, takes whoops faster, they don't care. They're so bent on being somehow "better", they just justify those things in their mind as a better rider, not a better machine. And since becoming a better rider themselves requires too much work, they don't care about it, about handling, about jumping, or anything along those lines. They just want to be cool with a "faster" machine.

SilverLake250R
09-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I believe a well set up OEM cylinder will be able to beat a piped 700. Just this weekend I had the opportunity to line up against a bunch of quads, and the only Raptor I recall getting beat by was running a turbo. I know I beat a few stock 700's by about 4 bike lengths. Now, 450's, that's another story. I am usually mid-pack with those.

Motofool250r
09-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
The problem here is two-fold. Those types of people that DO care about "racing" in a straight line, that's all they care about. That straight line speed is all they notice. Even if you have a machine that handles better, corners better, jumps better, takes whoops faster, they don't care. They're so bent on being somehow "better", they just justify those things in their mind as a better rider, not a better machine. And since becoming a better rider themselves requires too much work, they don't care about it, about handling, about jumping, or anything along those lines. They just want to be cool with a "faster" machine.

Back before i had a 250r i rode a warrior and people did not like the fact with a 88 beat up, regeared fresh motor and pipe i could out ride, and out hill climb most people.

1500$ quad with a 800$ worth of engine work and i squeezed every penny of joy out of it.

and then again with a used and abused 87 250r couple upgrades and just out rode them they all stay on the flats and click gears trying to be the biggest n baddest.

Now i got both of em beat, put ina Monster Puma 443cc motor, aftermarket frame fully suspended with all the aftermarket goodies... its a blast to roll up ona 450/500cc banshee(or any fourstroke) and hand him his *** on a silver platter doin a wheelie up a dune.

HondaPohl
09-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by aztecgwynn

Yea but there is a difference between 2 and 4 stroke.

profab250R
09-06-2011, 05:38 PM
With my ESR 310 (trx9 port) and FMF with 40.5mm carb and stock reeds I was beating 2 piped and chipped 700 Raptor up comp hill at buttercup.

Now that I have my trx5 pipe and v-force III reeds and matched the ports from side to side on the cylinder, I should be quite a bit faster than the Raptor 700s.

In the dunes I will leave them in the dust. The R has a low center of gravity anda plush suspension in comparison. Theonly thing I can think that the raptor is easier to do is wheelie.

aztecgwynn
09-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Yes I agree the 250R is more agile, and easier to ride. But I have been going to Glamis now for 25 years and at the dunes it is a completely different ride than woods, mx track, sand pit .
Glamis is more of a wide open ride but it is rare that friends and I see 250R"s beating up on 700 Raptors. The fastest 250r"s i see there on a consistent basis are the hill shooters and those are fast but also one dimensional.
Not trying to piss anyone off but like I said i have yet to see a 250R beat a raptor that is a tall order but I would love to see that thanks.

doctorace1
09-07-2011, 06:49 AM
raptor=junk

sangheraent
09-07-2011, 10:41 PM
I have owned a raptor 700 (stock). An 06 yfz K&n filter and piped. and currently own a 262 lrd ported motor.

I can honestly say the raptor 700 most powerful bike stock I have ever Ridden. it kept up within a bike length stock to my friends piped yfz. just harder to take off on because it likes to wheely.

A piped and efi controlled raptor is no joke. I have a stroker banshee and in the banshee world a modified raptor is the only worry people have off the line.

profab250R
09-08-2011, 05:41 PM
I am speaking from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. an ESR 310 with trx9 porting 40.5mm carb and FMF will beat a Raptor (I even had cheap glider paddles and they were on Haulers). With a better pipe, refined porting, V-Force reeds, and some jetting time I WILL SPANK a Raptor hands down.

I am even with a 686raptor with FCR carbs stage IV pipe porting, OS valves, stage 3 cam, and dyno tuned, before the TRX5 pipe, v-force 3 reeds and some port balancing from side to side.

I will get videos at the halloween trip. I will even jet it right before I Race them.

265 sleeper
09-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Ima put my haulers on this Halloween with my friend +10 swingarm. And I'm trying to get a cr ignition before then . I'm get some lynching vids and post them . Where I ride now you must wear ppe in order to run down the track now .