PDA

View Full Version : new 440 installed wont start.

mittman
09-03-2011, 11:37 AM
So i've been waiting a month to ride my beast and finally got a chance to put it all together. Well worked till 4am putting it all together and trying to get it to start. It has spark and fuel. This is all what I did. Je 12:1 piston, 440 sleeve , stage 2 hotcam. 152 main jet cometic gaskets. I can not get a pop out of it even with starting fluid. So I tried a different coil and still nothing. Tried a compression test and it came in low at 60psi I put a squirt of oil into the cylinder and came up to 90psi. Any ideas, Talked to 2 different people and they are not quite sure what is going on

rinconrider
09-03-2011, 11:45 AM
a comp test that low is pretty poor but it hasnt broke in at all so that is most likely expected.

double check the timing to make sure it is correct also along with the proper valve lash of .005 intake and .006 exhaust for the hotcam.

a 152 is going to be way lean.

you should definitely be starting around a 185-190 main keihin and going with a 42 pilot at around 2.5 turns out on the f/a screw. you will most likely end up at around a 180 main.

heres some more info from another member on here.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445695&highlight=jetting+placement

trailrider894
09-03-2011, 12:46 PM
YOU MASSIVELY messed something up... you should be getting a much much higher compression reading... Did you install the rings?? Line it all up right at TDC? Put your cam in??? I mean something is wrong there. And 152 is way to lean also.

DragonGunner
09-03-2011, 02:56 PM
I gotta agree that its the timing index being off....double check withit being TDC an see if your index lines come up right.

mittman
09-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Ok so update as of now got it to run by push starting it. It wont fire with the starter also it wont idle. I have checked the timing 3 times. It does however run good past about 1/4 throttle. Im going to bump up the jets but wont be able to do so till tues. On another note the plug was black after about 5 min of riding.

trailrider894
09-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by mittman
Ok so update as of now got it to run by push starting it. It wont fire with the starter also it wont idle. I have checked the timing 3 times. It does however run good past about 1/4 throttle. Im going to bump up the jets but wont be able to do so till tues. On another note the plug was black after about 5 min of riding.

Get your A/F screw set right, change needles settings and up the pilot size.

DragonGunner
09-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Sounds like your air misture screw is running rich....air mixture screw too lean or too rich its hard starting. Main jet won't matter on idle, upping the pilot won't hurt, but your plug is showing a rich condition.