PDA

View Full Version : My First 250r - Questions

yernkie
09-02-2011, 11:30 PM
I just picked up an 86 TRX250r and have a few questions.

1. What type of coolant should I run and how much? The rear reservoir is empty.

2. The previous owner ran Blendzall Ultra Racing Castor. What ratio should I run?

3. While running there is a slight oil/fuel leak that looks like it is coming from the bottom of the exhaust pipe header. It stops after a few minutes when you shut it off. Thoughts on this?

4. The rear brake reservoir is really low. Will standard brake fluid work?

5. How do you check/change the oil in these (tranny)?

6. Do these bikes need to be in neutral to start?

The previous owner didn't know much about the motor because he bought it off of eBay. He was told it is a stock rebuild and the bike has VForce reeds, CoolHead, and Curtis Sparks TT pipe. He has been running it for a few years and around 10 hrs. It seems to run good.

JM317
09-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by yernkie
I just picked up an 86 TRX250r and have a few questions.

1. What type of coolant should I run and how much? The rear reservoir is empty.
Universal 50/50 automotive coolant works fine, if you switch anything else just make sure you flush your old coolant.

2. The previous owner ran Blendzall Ultra Racing Castor. What ratio should I run?
32:1 works great for just about all castors which works out to being 4oz of oil per gallon of fuel.

3. While running there is a slight oil/fuel leak that looks like it is coming from the bottom of the exhaust pipe header. It stops after a few minutes when you shut it off. Thoughts on this?
Is the leak at a joint where the exhaust comes together?

4. The rear brake reservoir is really low. Will standard brake fluid work?
Yes, DOT4 automotive fluid works fine.

5. How do you check/change the oil in these (tranny)?
Drain by removing the large bolt on the bottom of the cases, replace the bolt and refill by adding oil to the oil cap on the clutch side cover. There is a checkbolt directly below the oil filler cap on the clutch side cover, remove it and add oil until it comes out of that hole. Replace that bolt and you're done.

6. Do these bikes need to be in neutral to start?
No, just pull the clutch in if it's not in neutral.

The previous owner didn't know much about the motor because he bought it off of eBay. He was told it is a stock rebuild and the bike has VForce reeds, CoolHead, and Curtis Sparks TT pipe. He has been running it for a few years and around 10 hrs. It seems to run good.

k7mm
09-03-2011, 06:24 AM
1:regular green antifreeze.I believe 50/50 mix with water.The rear tank should be to the full mark.Check the hose to the rear to make sure it is solid.I use Cycle Logic engine ice coolant.It will not mix with other coolants.It's great stuff!Start your engine with the cap off the radiator.Fill with antifreeze.Put the cap on.Fill the rear tank.
2:32:1
3:It's the exhaust flange seal.If it bothers you,you will have to take the pipe off.If you clean it with the pipe off,you can use a hi temp sealant and let it sit over night.Depending on your flange,you may need to get new o rings.My new one has sealant on it,and it still leaks.
4:standard brake fluid will not work.Use Dot 4 or higher
5:on the right side of engine towards the bottom where you put the tranny oil in,is a small bolt.Take the bolt out.Slowly put tranny fluid in the top hole.When there is enough in there,the fluid seeps out the bottom bolt hole.To change the fluid,there is a bolt on the bottom of the engine in the center towards the back.
6:The bike does'nt have to be in neutral to start(say your on the trail or something).But I usually start mine in neutral.With a properly jetted carb,and a properly adjusted clutch,the R's start in gear with no problem.On your clutch lever you should have about a 1/8 of free play.Not too loose,Not too tight.Shoot for that and you"ll be fine.

It is a good idea to get a manual.I have used Clymer and it has been great to me.Many complete rebuild using the Clymer.
Keith

yernkie
09-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the help. I am going to try some high temp copper sealant on the flange for now and see how that works. I think the clutch cable is too long (it isn't factory) so I ordered a new one today (plus a few other parts).

I am stoked. I have wanted a 250r since I was a teenager, so this will be a fun project. I hope to take it with me to Waynoka later this month when I go.

danhung11
09-03-2011, 10:50 PM
There's a big group of two-strokes heading down to Waynoka the weekend of 10/7. Three forums, predominantly 2-strokes - should be a heck of a weekend.

yernkie
09-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Too bad....I'll be there the weekend before.