PDA

View Full Version : suggested parts

rinconrider
09-02-2011, 08:43 PM
So ive been looking at getting some new stuff for the 400. whats some good stuff to get?

tag t-2s
stage 3 cam
shim kit for the cam
port and polish
new bearings for the muffler
new razrs all around
new high rise seat from quad tech
revalved ltz450 shocks
extra high light bulbs that are 60Watt a piece i think? does this sound right?
how about some 3" spacers that screw onto the the studs?
Im also thinking trying to get the powerband a bit higher. Maybe a blue or yellow setup would be best to get it up at 8500-9500 rpms for peak hp?
How about a good cdi box to harness power up that high in the rpm range.
ive also been thinking about advancing the timing, use a cdi box or sparks key?

sorry about all of the questions, ive been looking at alot of different things.

rinconrider
09-02-2011, 08:59 PM
whats so funny?

i need some help here! i was told my machine has a red setup now... im not sure what that entails. any help?

maybe the guy i bought it from was jacking with me... i thought it was a honda setup similar to the hrc stuff.

any thoughts on the hrc stuff? what all comes with it?

:( :(

rinconrider
09-02-2011, 09:10 PM
the hrc stuff or the red setup or both?

what other parts are good?

rinconrider
09-02-2011, 09:22 PM
nah

think i should change my valve seals while im in there? i saw your thread on changing them a bit ago. how many miles were on yours?

i think im going to go with a yellow setup now from kaleco. they have new muffler bearings also so i will probably get one of those too. the bearing is in the middle chamber of the stock exhaust correct?

rinconrider
09-02-2011, 09:25 PM
maybe that is what happened to mine... ill hit up the other thread to try out some suggestions.

01boneless
09-02-2011, 09:27 PM
all jokes aside i get so tired of seeing these dumb threads about muffler bearings powerbands best pipe and crap well at least you got yourself a laugh

rinconrider
09-02-2011, 09:32 PM
whys that? i am curious about all of these parts? i want to do some upgrades to the 400 this fall and winter.

whats some good stuff?

trailrider894
09-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by rinconrider
So ive been looking at getting some new stuff for the 400. whats some good stuff to get?

tag t-2s
stage 3 cam
shim kit for the cam
port and polish
new razrs all around
revalved ltz450 shocks
Im also thinking trying to get the powerband a bit higher. Maybe a blue or yellow setup would be best to get it up at 8500-9500 rpms for peak hp?

just wasting space... :chinese:

rinconrider
09-02-2011, 09:47 PM
thanks for your help....

anyone care to help out a fellow exer. thanks also for your help boneless!

it is appreciated.

01boneless
09-02-2011, 09:48 PM
your welcome:D

rinconrider
09-02-2011, 09:57 PM
what else should i get? i dont have alot of coin but enough to make a good performing 400.

rinconrider
09-02-2011, 09:57 PM
what else should i get? i dont have alot of coin but enough to make a good performing 400.

trailrider894
09-03-2011, 08:35 AM

tag t-2s
stage 3 cam
shim kit for the cam
port and polish
new razrs all around
revalved ltz450 shocks

Here is what i think... If you are looking for a real answer here. First off, I really can
t suggest anything without knowing what your intentions are with the quad. Are you gonna be racing? XC or MX? Dunes? Pit Riding? Drag racing??? After you get me that, I can tell you exactly what you will need!!

jkosakowski
09-03-2011, 08:44 AM
I would sugest going with honda trx 450 shocks just to keep it all honda and i realy like mine.
:)

rinconrider
09-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Here is what i think... If you are looking for a real answer here. First off, I really can
t suggest anything without knowing what your intentions are with the quad. Are you gonna be racing? XC or MX? Dunes? Pit Riding? Drag racing??? After you get me that, I can tell you exactly what you will need!!

mainly just a trail machine but xc is a nice way to set it up also.

I think im going to order some cr high t-2s and new clamps this week. get a g force axle, nerfs and a bumper from pro armor, and a few other things to get it started.

how does a stage 3 perform on a stock internals engine? I have heard it is pretty radical compared to the other 2 but it can still be done. thoughts?

Thanks for the help guys

trailrider894
09-03-2011, 09:37 AM
mainly just a trail machine but xc is a nice way to set it up also.

I think im going to order some cr high t-2s and new clamps this week. get a g force axle, nerfs and a bumper from pro armor, and a few other things to get it started.

how does a stage 3 perform on a stock internals engine? I have heard it is pretty radical compared to the other 2 but it can still be done. thoughts?

Thanks for the help guys

Well an ideal setup as far as an engine would be probably running stock bore, with a Stage 1 cam, Aftermarket SLip-on and a K&N with a Sparks Key. I would do anything else, unless you were to get a higher compression piston, but in that case you would have to leave the stock key alone. Its either a high compression piston or a Sparks key. A stage 3 cam should never be used on a stock motor. They are designed for high compression big bore/stroker motors. The stage 3 cam would probably only break things or make the quad run worse.

As far as suspension, a g-force axle should suffice. Get some +1 or +2 a-arms, never use spacers they are junk and you will only get laughed at for using them. The stock rear schock will be more than enough, and if you get some 450r fronts, its a night and day difference. If you you have the cash, get them all re-valved by GTThunder for Jet Suspension.

Get a good bumper, nerfs, tether/ kill switch, skid plates, etc.... then you will have one of the most bullet proof/reliable best running quads on the trail.

rinconrider
09-03-2011, 09:45 AM
sounds good thanks for the info. :) i will start checking out some more stuff to get.

any info on the hrc stuff or do you know anything about the red setup? freaking guy that i bought it from... hopefully it is an hrc setup of some sort. i guess maybe ill have to tear into the head and check out what the markings are on the cam. Is there anything on the hrc that denotes it from the stock one? does it use the decompressor mechanism?

trailrider894
09-03-2011, 12:41 PM
sounds good thanks for the info. :) i will start checking out some more stuff to get.

any info on the hrc stuff or do you know anything about the red setup? freaking guy that i bought it from... hopefully it is an hrc setup of some sort. i guess maybe ill have to tear into the head and check out what the markings are on the cam. Is there anything on the hrc that denotes it from the stock one? does it use the decompressor mechanism?

I've never heard of a HRC kit for a 400ex.... I've heard of one for the XR400, and a HRC Cam for the 400ex, it probably doesn't, most cams that don't require hardened rockers don
t use the decompression mechanisms.

Don's shim the cam...

Muffler Bearings aren't real...

There are no such things as different color powerbands...

Just to warn you, headlight fluid and breaklight grease is also fake...

CDI's and Rev Box's are pointless, don't get em.

High rise seats are also pointless, all you are doing is lifting the center of gravity on the bike making it worse handling..

Don't port and polish unless you bore it up or do a high compression setup. Do some re-search on here... I would spend all day explaining to you the mechanics behind what mods go hand in hand...

tri5ron
09-03-2011, 10:51 PM
get a used fart can muffler off of a civic, and cut it down to fit under the rear fender.
finely ground bryilliam crystals dissolved into the fuel, and a tongue throttle.
That's all you'll need.
:devil: