PDA

View Full Version : Ok, STOOOOPID QUESTION!

dxcody
09-02-2011, 03:13 AM
Alright, buying a 426

Needs new headgasket so i am going to buy GTT HD headstuds.

I really dont want to spend $60+shipping to have GTT tap them in.

I am pretty good friends with the boys at the local machine shop.

How do i explain to them what i need them to do once i get the headstuds?

Not very familiar with drilling and tapping and what not.

Thanks.

F-16Guy
09-02-2011, 06:57 AM
The cylinder should be tapped for the studs using a roll form tap. Here are the instructions from the GT Thunder website:
http://www.gtthunder.com/TRX400EX.htm

dxcody
09-02-2011, 07:19 AM
thanks man

I see in your sig you said maybe some IXCR.. you live in indiana??

DragonGunner
09-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Looks like we got some Hoosiers on here. I ran a 426 for a couple years, my stock studs did just fine, never an issue. I ran MX an Grand Prix an some XC for several yrs. Then after not racing for about 4 yrs went to a Grand Prix a couple weeks ago, thinking of hitting some more an getting in shape for maybe entering the Ironman GNCC at crawfordsville this fall....if I don't loose my nerve, I've seen alot of crashes at the hill over the years.

F-16Guy
09-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah, out here in Kokomo. I'd like to do some kind of racing in the near future, but two little kids, a full time job, reserve duty, college, and a house are keeping me pretty busy. Maybe next year...:(

dxcody
09-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
Looks like we got some Hoosiers on here. I ran a 426 for a couple years, my stock studs did just fine, never an issue. I ran MX an Grand Prix an some XC for several yrs. Then after not racing for about 4 yrs went to a Grand Prix a couple weeks ago, thinking of hitting some more an getting in shape for maybe entering the Ironman GNCC at crawfordsville this fall....if I don't loose my nerve, I've seen alot of crashes at the hill over the years.

They didnt even send them up Ironman hill in 2010, they made a new hill called "Ironman Wall" that is just insane.

Very smooth and steep, not quite as tall as ironman hill though.
Its on the backside of ironman hill so last year they sent the racer up the wall (or around but it was +27 seconds to go around) and down the original ironman hill.

It prolly wouldnt have been as bad had there not been 2 1/2 feet of dusty silt at the bottom of it.

If you watch videos on youtube, it makes it look small but trust me, ITS NOT! lol

dxcody
09-02-2011, 07:05 PM

Oh and so maybe before i spend like $100 on studs, i should just see if i blow a headgasket first?

The headgasket that is on it now, isnt blown, it has a break in it though.

(i guess that kinda the same thing) but maybe i will try to run it as is for a while until i can buy some better stuff or maybe she will be alright! lol

Longdong
09-02-2011, 07:51 PM
You could race an maxc race! Good practice for the ironman!!!

dxcody
09-02-2011, 08:53 PM
yes MAXC is awesome,

NEVER, EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER, EVER EVER, RACE A MIDWEST XC RACE.

Ok i am being a little over dramatic, but if they say Adult quads start at 1 PM.... I would get to the track about 1:30 PM and you might get to race before 4 or 5 PM..

They also dont believe in watering down the holeshot, or places to pass on thier tracks...

NO offence to anyone who races or likes MWXC, but they are very unorganized, and there has been alot of accounts of "cheating" on that series.

Mid America is the way to go.

Co-sanction this year with the GNCC Ironman.

DragonGunner
09-03-2011, 05:26 AM
I was there, I thought there is no way I would try that one if I was racing, scary sick. The first 4x4 came up an went up it like it was candy...sick!!!! I was up top on the opposite side watching...before they even got there there was fog of DUST, man it was bad the first couple laps....that Ironman was way to dry...they run the course opposite usually every yr. so they should be running up Ironman Hill this yr...I've got the quad that will climb anything....but the older I get the safer I play anymore!

If you had problems with the headgasket I would probably go with the GT studs...after a bunch of rebuilds I finally had to use them myself.

DragonGunner
09-03-2011, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Longdong
You could race an maxc race! Good practice for the ironman!!!

I've never checked them out, the XC I have raced several times was Plymouth Blackhawks, its very tight woods, swamps, fields...if you come with MX set up to wide you ain't going far.
The last one I went to did 28 miles in 1.4 hrs....thats probably just a warm up for Ironman, but Ironman looks fast an wide trails.
I raced Ironman once...went 1 mile an a ball joint snapped, glad I wasn't going fast at the time. But wish I could of gone at least a lap first!

dxcody
09-03-2011, 07:35 AM
I was there, I thought there is no way I would try that one if I was racing, scary sick. The first 4x4 came up an went up it like it was candy...sick!!!! I was up top on the opposite side watching...before they even got there there was fog of DUST, man it was bad the first couple laps....that Ironman was way to dry...they run the course opposite usually every yr. so they should be running up Ironman Hill this yr...I've got the quad that will climb anything....but the older I get the safer I play anymore!

If you had problems with the headgasket I would probably go with the GT studs...after a bunch of rebuilds I finally had to use them myself.

Lol thats where i set too. At first i standing at the bottom of the hill and i was tired of getting dusted so we ran across the track and just started climbing to the top of that hill you said you were stting on
Heck you may have been one of the guys that helped me up the hill, if it wasnt for other "mud fleas" i wouldnt have made it half way up that thing lol.

On that 3rd lap when Borich jumped up the wall was freakin sweet, sucks that he dominated it though.

No offence to him but i would much rather see Wolf, Mcgill, Ockerman win. He's good but he kinda has that G thug look.
Pink earring and what not. haha

dxcody
09-03-2011, 07:35 AM

Lol thats where i set too. At first i standing at the bottom of the hill and i was tired of getting dusted so we ran across the track and just started climbing to the top of that hill you said you were stting on
Heck you may have been one of the guys that helped me up the hill, if it wasnt for other "mud fleas" i wouldnt have made it half way up that thing lol.

On that 3rd lap when Borich jumped up the wall was freakin sweet, sucks that he dominated it though.

No offence to him but i would much rather see Wolf, Mcgill, Ockerman win. He's good but he kinda has that G thug look.

Longdong
09-03-2011, 07:57 AM
I've never checked them out, the XC I have raced several times was Plymouth Blackhawks, its very tight woods, swamps, fields...if you come with MX set up to wide you ain't going far.
The last one I went to did 28 miles in 1.4 hrs....thats probably just a warm up for Ironman, but Ironman looks fast an wide trails.
I raced Ironman once...went 1 mile an a ball joint snapped, glad I wasn't going fast at the time. But wish I could of gone at least a lap first!

We raced all the Plymouth races till last year now we o ly do the maxc. We run the ironman every year.

DragonGunner
09-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by dxcody

I remember when Borich started pro racing, very humble guy...then a few yrs. in seemed he changed, got the video of when he cheated against Ballance an cut a BIG section at the end for the win, but he got caught, acted all mad an protested it but the video shows HE KNEW he had done it...lost all respect for him after that. Isn't Wolf from IN, an Ockerman from IL..? I like McGill alot when he ran the KTM...I got a KTM 520 in my 400EX frame so thats probably why I liked him running the KTM.

DragonGunner
09-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Longdong
We raced all the Plymouth races till last year now we o ly do the maxc. We run the ironman every year.

I'm going to have to google up some info on MAXC.....I turned 50 last June so the nice thing is I can race the GNCC in the morning class when the track isn't so rough an torn up...dang those 100lb pro woman are fast.

Longdong
09-03-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm going to have to google up some info on MAXC.....I turned 50 last June so the nice thing is I can race the GNCC in the morning class when the track isn't so rough an torn up...dang those 100lb pro woman are fast.

Www.themaxc.com they are on facebook to. Great series!!!!!!

dxcody
09-04-2011, 02:38 AM
I remember when Borich started pro racing, very humble guy...then a few yrs. in seemed he changed, got the video of when he cheated against Ballance an cut a BIG section at the end for the win, but he got caught, acted all mad an protested it but the video shows HE KNEW he had done it...lost all respect for him after that. Isn't Wolf from IN, an Ockerman from IL..? I like McGill alot when he ran the KTM...I got a KTM 520 in my 400EX frame so thats probably why I liked him running the KTM.

Wolf is from Ohio.

Ockerman is actually from Terre Haute, but moved to Marshall IL.

Man you would never know ockerman was a pro. I was fortunate enough to walk the track at Lake Waveland with ockerman.
He is a NUT! Crazy hick on a quad... that pretty much defines him lol

Wolf is a pretty nice guy too BUT he is very blunt. Like he told the guys at motoxperts to F*** off because they got shi**y with him once. LOL very open about how he feels about people.

I got ruined on Borich this year at the Indy 100 GNCC. When they cut the race a lap early and wolf won (by like +1 minute) and Borich and his dad got up in wolfs face saying that he wasnt the real winner and blah blah blah.

No doubt borich is fast, and a great rider but he needs to realize that his shi* still stinks.

I hope Mcgill dethrowns him this year, or wolf.

dxcody
09-04-2011, 02:40 AM
Ockerman dropped IXCR to run MAXC this year.

MAXC has came a long way in a short amount of time. AMA goes a long ways!

MOTO-XPERTS
09-06-2011, 08:29 AM
"Wolf is a pretty nice guy too BUT he is very blunt. Like he told the guys at motoxperts to F*** off because they got shi**y with him once. LOL very open about how he feels about people."

Not once did we get shi**y with Wolf in any way or did he tell us to F*** off. Brian called us looking to pay retail for our race engines and we had to refuse the work because he was battling for the points in XC2 with our rider Walker Fowler. Moto-xperts has nothing but respect for Brian, we just did not want to burn our bridge with our riders.

dxcody
09-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I was just repeating what i was told ..

Its from a pretty reliable source though.

No disrespect intended.

i am not trying to bash motoxperts at all, but alot of my friends have agreed that you guys are "not the nicest" when it comes to working with racers on certain things.

MOTO-XPERTS
09-07-2011, 06:14 AM
no worries! just was setting the record straight