PDA

View Full Version : cleaning carbon and update

01boneless
09-01-2011, 07:38 PM
hey guys whats works best to clean carbon off valve ports and off the valves? also i talked to a well known mechcanic today and he works on alot of 400ex's. i told him i put new rings on and it still smoked, and it shoots oil out of the left exaust port only. so he continuded to tell me that he thinks its valve seal so he gave me a set for free to put on. now whats your guys opinions on this? what other than a bad valve seal would make ONLY the left exause port shoot oil? i took the seal out and it looked ok but he said you cant realy tell when there bad sometimes.

ps sorry ive been posting alot but this problem is realy confusing:mad:

honda400ex2003
09-01-2011, 07:45 PM
you wont see the wear on it so dont worry about that.

change them and you will be set.

i use brake parts cleaner and a wire brush to clean the carbon off and make sure everything is very clean before reinstalling.

lapping material might work also to help clean them up but i cant really recommend it as i have never tried it. its just a thought. dont use any of that to try to get it off.

steve

01boneless
09-01-2011, 07:53 PM
thanks steve

honda400ex2003
09-01-2011, 07:55 PM
http://someonenoticed.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/thumbsupd.png

steve

01boneless
09-01-2011, 08:15 PM
lol

01boneless
09-03-2011, 08:05 PM
update

so i changed the seals and was reday to strt it up when both timming hole caps broke oil tanks bolt broke and 3 head bolts stripped ohh well maybe tomarrow im getting to where i hate this old hondy if it smokes after these valve seals im gonna take a hammer to it lol

NMills
09-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
update

so i changed the seals and was reday to strt it up when both timming hole caps broke oil tanks bolt broke and 3 head bolts stripped ohh well maybe tomarrow im getting to where i hate this old hondy if it smokes after these valve seals im gonna take a hammer to it lol

How did the timing hole caps break??? striped bolts???? Oil Tank bolts?? why were you touching those???

01boneless
09-03-2011, 09:18 PM
the timming hole caps are aluminum so they busted the oil tank was being replaced with a new one (old one had a leak) and ya stripped valve cover bolts

matts27
09-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
hey guys whats works best to clean carbon off valve ports and off the valves?

Best way I've found is a die grinder and scotch brite 3m scrubby pads. Most auto parts stores sell 'em don't have a die grinder carb dip and a stiff little scrub brush. AFter they're all clean you're gonna need to lap the valves. Anytime you tear open a motor best thing to do is change all seals you come across. I made the mistake many years ago not to do a head (valves/seals/lapping) on a motor and ended up having nothing but troubles with it down the road. JUst my experience, Matt