PDA

View Full Version : My first ex...finally

bmg400ex
09-01-2011, 01:56 PM
After searching on and off for about 2 years i finally picked up an 07 400, best $2600 i have ever spent...its has nerfs but im not sure what kind, white brothers r4 pipe, spacers front and back, protaper bars, handguards, and a k&n filter. It needs new tires bad (CST Ambush?), the stockers only hold air for about two hours, a new pipe sometime becuase this one is very illegal and the bonehead who had it before me J-B Welded the clutch lever mount to the bars so if anyone has any tips on how to break that and get it off and things that i should do/check with my quad would be greatly appreciated! my pictures wont work....grrr..15.31.35.jpg jpg

smelly$cat
09-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Sounds interesting. Post pics?

matts27
09-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by bmg400ex
... the bonehead who had it before me J-B Welded the clutch lever mount to the bars so if anyone has any tips on how to break that and get it off and things that i should do/check with my quad would be greatly appreciated! my pictures wont work....grrr..15.31.35.jpg jpg

The clutch perch is most likely pot metal, so wack it with a hammer. If you're nervous or afraid of hitting the bars drive it with a piece of wood against the perch hitting the block with a hammer.

Check everything, dump the oil, can't trust when it was changed. Also change the oil filter.
Clean the airbox and air filter.
Clean the chain with atf fluid.
Check the tie-rods, ball joints (this will let you know what you will need down the road).
Lube the cables (clutch+throttle).
Check the lamps for functioning.
Check the hardware for loose bolts (plastic mounting bolts, swinger, skids,etc).
Check the rear bearings for play in the carrier, might be able to save them by tightening the jam nut.
Check the break pads (wear indicators).
Order a service manual or find a free one on the internet.
About all I can think of now, I don't trust previous owners, they're selling a product and of course it's "MINT"!!! Anything you do will make it safer and last longer and hope you enjoy your purchase, sounds like a lot but it really goes quick. These are all mainly things you do when you're done ridding, visual checks, wrench on the one thing in need of repair and ride on. Matt

coryatver
09-01-2011, 06:04 PM
What the person above said. Also you must Remove spacers! Get some good tires like maxxis razrs or ITP Quadcross XC. Don't get the cheap Taiwanese knock off tires they are junk