PDA

View Full Version : Saved by a drunk driver..

MX MaNiAc 06
08-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Thought that title would get your attention :D

Went for a little trip last weekend with my sister and buddy in my sister's rental dodge charger. On the way home driving over a big hill i see a white speck probly a mile-mile and a half away. So i coasted down to the speed limit just to be safe. Of course i get a bit closer and the dude puts his lights on.. i pull over

Sheriff walks up with kind of a nervous, shaky tone to his voice like hes got an adrenaline rush goin and tells me i was doing 98mph. I was more fascinated in how the dude clocked me than how much trouble i was in. haha I squinted in the rear view and asked how he clocked me from so far away. Apparently they can clock you up to 3 miles.. little food for thought for you speed demons out there. So he mentions how it could be reckless driving and i could go to jail.. but hes not gonna do that. Gives me several chances to redeem myself and give a reasonable excuse why he shouldnt give me a ticket. After trying to talk my way out of it for a few minutes he kinda cringed and said he can't just let 98mph slide.

Goes back to his car to write my ticket.. im freaking out wondering if im gonna lose my license and he comes back and hands me my information. "It's your lucky day. I just got a call about a drunk driver so I've gotta split. SLOW DOWN!!" and he peels away!!

Then a few miles up the road we see the car he pulled over for drunk driving and we saw this chick we know taking a field sobriety test on the side of the road. This is 50+ miles from our home town! The chick is notoriously known as a horrible driver so we figured she was swerving like she always does. Saw her about an hour later and sure enough she was texting and all over the road. hahahaha Cop didn't get anybody!

Brauap
08-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Niceeee! :cool:

KXRida
08-31-2011, 06:48 AM
with a radar gun no way 3 miles. 1500-2500 feet is generally the range they will pick you up at, still far enough to get your speed before you see them. PSP is now starting to use the little "your speed" construction radars as a form of speed control device. Buddy of mine got pulled over and this was how the officer claimed he clocked him. I still say too many variables on those and it could easily be fought out. Hell I've gone by those at 100mph + and they don't even pick up.

Tommy Warren
08-31-2011, 09:20 AM
cops have laser radar guns now that can travel as far as it want....they have a scope on it and they aim at your license plate and its accurate for miles

HondaPohl
08-31-2011, 03:02 PM
Well you def got lucky!

KXRida
08-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
cops have laser radar guns now that can travel as far as it want....they have a scope on it and they aim at your license plate and its accurate for miles

Nothing new, but once again the variability factor comes in to play with them, as well as any other radar gun. 9 times out of 10 any cop will not be radaring you at a mile+. If your terrain is anything like Pa's you'll know that most of the roads including the highways have minimal long stretch straight aways with a non-obstructive view.

destey
09-01-2011, 05:36 AM
I have little faith in radar guns. Have you ever looked from their point of view? I see them sitting in the U turn lane of the interstate with dozens of cars oncoming, there's just no way they can aim at just one car and know *for certain* they clocked the right car. I shoot rifles often and aiming at a moving target at that distance is not 100%.

Plus there's a solar powered radar detector mounted on the side of the road on my way to work. Every few days (i'm the only one on the road, its 5am). it'll flash 47...47....47....42....47....47....47. Convince me there's any way that's accurate. Or radars at baseball games. I recall times when two radar guns disagreed. Or the announcers say "the gun must be running a little hot."

Of course they're treated as gospel in court, because if they weren't it'd open up a can of worms.

KXRida
09-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by destey
I have little faith in radar guns. Have you ever looked from their point of view? I see them sitting in the U turn lane of the interstate with dozens of cars oncoming, there's just no way they can aim at just one car and know *for certain* they clocked the right car. I shoot rifles often and aiming at a moving target at that distance is not 100%.

Plus there's a solar powered radar detector mounted on the side of the road on my way to work. Every few days (i'm the only one on the road, its 5am). it'll flash 47...47....47....42....47....47....47. Convince me there's any way that's accurate. Or radars at baseball games. I recall times when two radar guns disagreed. Or the announcers say "the gun must be running a little hot."

Of course they're treated as gospel in court, because if they weren't it'd open up a can of worms.

My exact thoughts. Radar has too many variables if you ask me. The chance of human error is not hard at all.

MX MaNiAc 06
09-02-2011, 08:04 PM
He was actually pretty accurate. He pinpointed where my top speed was then how i coasted it down to 70. I still would have tried to fight it but its scary he was able to clock me from 1 mile plus. Definitely gonna make me watch my speed