PDA

View Full Version : What is this motor worth?

DoonRider
08-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Looking at this motor...I had another brand quad when these were in their heyday and recently got my first 250r so I am not sure what something like this is worth. Any ideas would be appreciated...
89 bottom end
bearings and crank replaced
questionable gears replaced
Hinson clutch basket
cases repainted recently
PC 2000 power valve 265cc cylinder
Pyramid reed valve system
8 TT races and a play day at the dunes on it

and a Paul Turner Eliminator chrome pipe that could be negotiated into the deal

What is the motor worth? Motor and pipe?
Thanks.

aztecgwynn
08-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Personally too much aftermarket for me.
If I was buying something I would want to buy something that is mostly bone stock. Reason why then I know what i'm putting into motor and know what parts into motor.
That engine does look good but ask yourself how has motor been run. Are parts in motor cheap aftermarket parts, like bearings, seals, gaskets, and what is compression readings, and crankshaft how many hours are on that crank.
Now if the seller can produce receipts than you can visually see what kind of part were put into motor.
But look at it as a whole look at frame, plastic, drivetrain, chain, sprockets and see how it has been taken care from the outside, chances are if they took care of the outside more than likely he took care of quad.

Motofool250r
08-30-2011, 01:38 AM
Well alot depends on what the previous owner stated.

were the bearings or a good quality brand?
what type of crank is it?

and who put it together, for instance i had a motor built by one guy and had 2 rides on it took it to one of the best on the west coast and he said my crank was out of tolerance. and wanted to tear it completely down n start over. So thats what we did..

the pc2000 cylinder is the top of the Power valves its not cheap at all.

if it was me i would not give over 1500$ i would push for closer to 1000$

danhung11
09-04-2011, 09:33 AM
That topend is $2k, alone. There should be some etching on the underside of the intake. Year it was built, model, etc.

I know it's not an ATC crate motor, but it looks pretty damm nice. I think $1200-1500 shipped is fair, as long as the nikasil is good. New buyer will probably want to put a new piston/rings and check rod clearance. I'm an aftermarket junky, so this is worth more in my opinion.

FWIW, I paid $1285 shipped for my PC2000 275cc newer style topend. Do some research on Duncan's website, or send it to Loren to freshen up.

DoonRider
09-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks, good info.