PDA

View Full Version : Austin's first race

Doug10
08-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Well last weekend we decided to load up and head to the Sand Drags. I had Austin on the computer the night before practicing his reaction time on a drag strip tree. Little did I know that once we got to the track it would be a heads up tree (NHRA style).

We got there and found out it was heads up racing. There are no age restrictions on the class just as long as it was 50-60cc. Most of the kids were racing multiple classes with a year or 2 experience. Most were 6-9 yrs old. Well as soon as we unloaded the tech man came over scratching his head and passing on his concerns about us being "protested" due to the overall size of our machine. He claimed there was no way it was a 50cc and wanted me to show him something stating it was a 50.

So i showed him the VIN but that really does no good. I then remembered that there was some writing on the side of the cylinder and showed that to him after removing all the plastic shrouds and whatnot. I think it said 49cm3 or something like that not really sure but he kinda squinted his eyes and said looks good to me. I know its a stock cylinder but I can understand his concerns. I told him that if anyone questioned it, they could put a protest fee up and I'd gladly pull it down to parade rest for them.

Well We drew a Bi run the first round and they wouldn't let Austin take his Bi run. I asked them to kindly consider since the kid had never been down the track except for the one practice run they give you, and even then he didn't get to use the tree. They said no and we just sat back and waited for the 2nd round. It was double elimination and we went on to win every round.

The finals we had to beat the other guy twice. The first time he pulled him all the way down to the finish and he was catching us on top end. We came back to the pits and I scrambled to take a shim from the front variator hoping to get a little more on the top end. Final Final round Austin was sleeping on the line and the kid got him by 3 or so quad lengths but Austin ran him down on the top end to take it by a nose. I didn't know that we had won until after we made it back to the pits then I was one happy Dad. Wish we would have savored it a little more but I was just too worried we got beat at the line. I think the kid he was racing was on a shifter of some sort.

Thanks to all you guys who have helped us out to this point, ESP. EthansDad, G-Force, and all the rest of you on here. You guys rock.

Austin won $10.00 also. LOL

Now if i could just finish figuring out this CVT setup.

Doug10
08-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Heres another

wvspeedfreak
08-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Congrats!!!!

LT80
08-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Awsome!

selbygirl
08-30-2011, 03:55 PM
great job is he sleeping on his quad. man he looks tired... you guys should check out somerset atv i think its on sept 10 there having drag racing and mud bog its in crisfield maryland ..they have a light tree and tell you your times... last time we went they had soft crab sandwitchs for 3 bucks. we had a good time real nice bunch of peaple

Doug10
08-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Thats only 15 mins from my parents house. Are you all going to be there? We will definitely plan on that one.

Doug

selbygirl
08-30-2011, 05:13 PM
we should be there . and a few of our dist 7 racers are going allso

o4twinpeaks
09-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Glad to see you all are going to make it down again. Amanda wants to know if you are going to bring your daughter down again?

selbygirl
09-04-2011, 12:27 PM
hay tom its tommy . we may come thers a race at atco that weekend .but there is a race at atco the following weekend also,, plus it looks like we are going to get a huricane this week,, my buddy called and sed he was going to the drag race . his girl is on a 70 apex and they have another girl comming with them on a 450 . both of them are realy good riders real fast

Doug10
09-09-2011, 02:35 PM
We are over here on the shore. I called and talked to them about the rules. I asked about the race fuel rule because that's what we are setup to run. It just don't make sense that our 50 has to go up against an apex 90 and there's nothing wrong with that but we can't run 50/50 mix of 93 and 100.

I hope for next year they do like alot of the other tracks in nc and va and run a 50/60 class and a 90/100cc class. o well we are going to be there as long as the skeeters have been taken care of. Just north of there in deal island they chased me to the truck last night and assaulted my little ones. If they are bad I suspect we will load up and head to nc for a Sunday mx race or another drag race.

Doug

o4twinpeaks
09-09-2011, 03:26 PM
We will be there as long as I can float the trailer out of the yard to the street. :o

Doug10
09-09-2011, 05:54 PM
What time ya reckon you will get there? I'd like to pit close to you guys from the website here and put some faces with names.

Doug

o4twinpeaks
09-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Its a 3 hr ride for us. We plan on leaving around 12 so should be there by 4. Have to add an hour to travel time when the wife comes along.:rolleyes: Gold chevy 3500 dually pulling white enclosed 20' Bring bug spray we needed it last time we were there.

410 808 4658 thats my cell

Tom

Doug10
09-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Roger that tom I'm not messing a round there if they are as thick as they were yesterday up that way. Spray would do nothing for you. Seems all the standing water did wonders for the skeeter larves and it's been wet and humid every since.

757-846-0572 I should be there at 2 or 3.

selbygirl
09-13-2011, 06:12 AM
hay doug ten , sorry for the poor turn out,, after you guys left and when the last race was run ,,the guy running the show came up to me and asked if i was sitting there on my cub cadet allnihgt ,,he asked like 5 times ,, apparently somthing happend in the pits and i guess i was being accused of somthing ,, i no i have long hair and tats but doesnt make me a bad person, i think we are just going to stick with mx,take care tommy

Doug10
09-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Tommy,

We really had a great time, but most all of that was attributed to your family and toms family. That is crazy that they said that to you. We were loadingup and the president walked up and thanked us for showing up. I am not going to be making any more trips back up that way though. I realize they are working on establishing some class rules etc... but the fact that we had to pit where we did when there was so much room open near the starting line because we were the "out of towners" aka non-club members. What were they on a witch hunt for? PM me your contact number if you will. I think we will start heading up that way for some MX and TT.

Doug

selbygirl
09-13-2011, 12:03 PM
hay doug . i think someone was pit riding and flipped there bike .gess they thought it was broden . but broden nos better .he has a lot of respect for quad rideing. but eny way we are going to atco this weekend pratice sat race sunday ,, atco nj a couple of other peaple are going with us also, i no its a hike .but well worth it i think its the most quad freindly tracks we have bin to. take care tommy 302-542-0428