PDA

View Full Version : All you polishers you have my respect

killed300ex
02-23-2003, 09:27 PM
well iv spent almost an hour on 1 motor mount and am 95% done with it only have the back side to polish up wiht the mothers its al sanded justs nees the polish. NOt that bad for my first try but holy ca its alot more work than i thought. My hats off to all you polishers that do this as a job/hobbie. Here are a couple fo pics

killed300ex
02-23-2003, 09:28 PM
m

killed300ex
02-23-2003, 09:29 PM
last one so what u think

CHAUNCY
02-23-2003, 09:51 PM
Looks pretty good

02-23-2003, 09:59 PM
last one so what u think

Hmmm I thinks it needs some polishing now and you sand real slow :)

Looks good but try diff higher grits of sand paper and some heavier polish before you finish with the light weight stuff because it should save you some time and a lot of work.

bump1
02-24-2003, 05:37 AM
looks nice man (here kitty kitty kitty)!!! :rolleyes:

muff
02-24-2003, 08:31 AM
looks good but uhh, isnt the 300 motor mounts steel?

Fender Bender
02-24-2003, 09:01 AM
Looks great man. You have my respect for doin it, i know its a pain in the neck......its all i do when im not riding or on the internet

02-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Hmmm I thinks it needs some polishing now and you sand real slow :)

Looks good but try diff higher grits of sand paper and some heavier polish before you finish with the light weight stuff because it should save you some time and a lot of work.

i beg to differ...i only go up to 600 grit sand paper...its not realy necasary to go up anyhigher i think..if you do it right...and i use only mothers on my stuff....a long with a dremel.....and i think it turns out jus as good as having a professional do it

02-24-2003, 12:37 PM
I undestand where you coming from but it isnt the easy way and you wont get a 100% mirror finish.

I polish things to a different degree depending on where they are on the quad and how much they get beat up and how accesable they are when installed.

An example is that the brake res cover is like a mirror and the nerfs are just shinned up if you know what I mean.

Some things like the motor mounts you can get good results from a higher polishing and you would also benefit from the extra sanding I discussed earlier.

What happens is that the Mothers (or any others like it, I use Meguires cause I sell their products) are not very abrasive and will not cut as fast as a rouge or compound with more grit. And you need that extra cutting power if you dont take down the material when sanding.

So you can do it any way you like and if your like me you dont want all the aluminum to have a mirror finish just due to maint etc. but when you want it 100% you have to get it done either when sanding or polishing or it will look like the piece you just posted. Not that the piece is bad it shines like a mofo but just that its not 100% like chrome etc.

BTW i am not flaming you post or your work just trying to help ya

02-24-2003, 12:44 PM
pic of nerfs that are half polished

DantheEXman
02-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Done the right way:p (No flame intended)