PDA

View Full Version : Best Air Compressor for the Money???

XCAdam89
08-28-2011, 11:39 PM
We're looking to upgrade our garage to tackle a few new things. Mainly autobody. Our Budget is around $1000 and we need a compressor that will run both a HVLP Spray Gun and a Pressure Pot Style Sandblaster. We won't be using both of these at the same time, but I'd like to get a big enough compressor that will handle sanders, sprayers, grinders, etc. without having to recharge every 15 minutes.

We've been looking around, but right now we are pretty set on using an Ingersoll Rand 60 or 80 Gallon Compressor from Tractor Supply. Anyone have any experience with them? or can recommend other brands to check out??

60 Gallon: 18.1 CFM @ 90psi. $850.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/air-compressors-air-tools-accessories/air-compressors/ingersoll-rand-5-hp-60-gal-single-stage-air-compressor-3301332?zoneMarketInfo=ZoneMarketInfo+{+zoneId%3D2 %2C+marketId%3D16+}&reqUrl=TopCategoriesDisplayView&langId=-1&storeId=10551&catalogId=10001&zipcode=22407&ddkey=http:LocationBasedPricingCmd

80 Gallon: 15.8 CFM @ 90psi $999

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/air-compressors-air-tools-accessories/air-compressors/ingersoll-rand-80-gallon-2-stage-air-compressor-5-hp-3496129

Which one do you think is better for sandblasting/sanding/painting?? I know higher CFM is always better, but why does the 60 gallon version have higher CFM?? I haven't been able to get a clear answer to that yet. I would rather have too much compressor than wishing I would have spent the extra $200 for a better unit.

Any help would be awesome! I've heard great things about Eaton Compressor's as well, but I cant seem to find a place locally that sells them.

Tommy Warren
08-29-2011, 12:09 AM
HVLP guns don't use a lot of pressure hense the name HVLP (high volume low pressure) what I used was a cheap compresser and I hooked up 2 air pigs to the line and ran my pressure adjuster off of the last air pig...it runs for a while to fill them all but it won't be on and off and on and off

tri5ron
08-29-2011, 04:19 AM
never had any complaints with Campbell Hausfeld, or Craftsman.
just make sure you get the 220-230 volt, and cast iron pump, with cast iron head.
Stay away from anything with an aluminum pump/head.

Also, make sure to use a high quality water separator/drier,... put a large globe valve at the furthest end of your hard plumbing, Don't cheap out on the quick disconnect fittings. buy the commercial grade fittings, and remember to drain the tank AT LEAST every week, to dump any water that will collect in the tank.

I don't know about your area, but around here, they are pretty easy to find good used ones on CL, and you can save a ton of cash if buying a good used compressor.

If noise from the compressor running is going to be an issue, then get a "Rotory Screw" type of pump,... but those can get VERY pricey.

Pappy
08-29-2011, 04:26 AM
Get the 80 gallon 2 stage. I have one, works well BUT it does put out alot of water and if you do any blasting it will run non stop.

Get a good line dryer, harbor frieght has them fairly cheap and they help a ton

slightlybent47
08-29-2011, 05:18 AM
Most of the air tools I have ever used seemed to use a large volume of air to run them.
They make my little Campbell Hausfeld 30 gallon cycle fairly quickly.
I would think the bigger the tank to less it would cycle so I would choose the larger tank.
Check the specks on several models and see how long it would take to fill the tank “cycle times”. You don’t want a big tank with a small pump that takes fore ever to refill.

I have that problem whin running an air nailer when framing, always waiting for the pump to catch up.
With a stationary pump I would also choose a 220 model, I think they would be more efficient.

XCAdam89
08-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Good Info. I was leaning towards the 80 Gallon as well, seems its the way to go.

I don't mind if the compressor has to kick on occassionally to meet blasting demands, as long as when it is working it works well and for a decent amount of time before pressure dies down. I just bought a powdercoating kit from eastwood and would prefer to be able to handle blasting myself, but if it is going to be more hassle than it's worth I may just leave it to the pro's. At least that way I'll know the parts are stripped the way they should be.